Cycling A Planted Tank....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jcosgrove

Reaction score
whats the best method? ive got my 10g up and running first then added plants but ive recently emptied my 20g, donated the fish to LFS and now im looking to set it up with a brand new external filter.

Can you help?

If the tank is densly planted with a lot of fast-growing stem plants and at least 75% of the substrate covered, then cycling isn't really necessary, since the plants are able to absorb any ammonia produced by the fish. The method says you can add your entire bioload at once, but I never do. I was keeping fish when cycling with fish was accepted and I still tend to stock in that fashion. Fishless cycling is not recommended since the plants will consume the ammonia better than the bacteria. Cloning works pretty well, takes a little while, and I often use filter media from an established tank when I setup a new aquarium, in conjuction with planting a lot of plants. I, however, often find that if I just build up stock slowly then I don't experience an ammonia spike, the tank cycles in a timely manner, and I get the pleasure of having fish right away.

Here's an article about cycling a planted tank.

http://rexgrigg.com/cycle.htm

Hope this helps a little bit.

llj :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back