Cycling a new tank with established media

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bking426

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank thatā€™s almost cycled I think. Itā€™s been running about a month. A few weeks ago I put extra floss in there so Iā€™d have established media once I got a new tank. Today I got a 36 gallon bow tank. It didnā€™t come with anything but the lid, lights, and stand. So I have to buy the rest. Do I just need a filter, heater, and thermometer to start? Do I need the substrate and plants? Also I read if I put the established media in the filter to immediately put some fish in to keep the BB from dying. That it should take 24 hours or a little more. Any of this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really. Introducing some bacteria through media or substrate etc will give it a kick start but it will not be fully cycled. You are still effectively doing a "fish in" cycle.

If you are introducing fish you should be adding bacteria supplement and being extra vigilant with water changes for the first month.

Think of adding the existing media as a boost rather than a complete quick start.

Thatā€™s what I figured sounded too good to be true. Iā€™m currently cycling a 10 gallon fish-in and itā€™s stressful.

Beneficial filter bacteria can double in number every couple of hours. So if you add filter material from an established filter to a new filter, you will be adding beneficial filter bacteria and their numbers will rapidly expand in the new filter and the filter will be cycled within a few days, usually less. Obviously it also depends on how much filter material you move across and how many fish you put in the new tank, but assuming you move a reasonable amount of material across and don't put 200 fish into the new tank you will be fine and are unlikely to get an ammonia or nitrite reading. Having said this it is still a good idea to monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels in the new tank (with established filter media) for a couple of weeks to make sure the filter has established and the bacteria are growing.

Fish or some form of ammonia should be added to the tank within 24 hours of adding established filter materials so the bacteria don't starve.

If you have a new tank with nothing in it then you will need to add substrate, plants, ornaments, filter, heater, light and whatever else you want. Set the tank up and fill it with water, add a dechlorinator and aerate the tank for 24 hours. Then add the established filter material to the new filter and add some fish or ammonia. Don't feed too much and monitor the water quality.

Great news!! Iā€™m still trying to decide on the decor. Haha. But I need to get busy!

Most reactions

Back