Cycling A Filter In An Already Cycled Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fidjet2

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a internal filter that i am wanting to cycle for my hospital tank.It is sitting in my community tank at the moment
At the moment i have some mature media in it but that is it- i was going to use it, but then didn't need to-
So i was wondering, when i get the new sponge, how long will it take to cycle nicely- and would i have to do anything to the tank, i assume i don't as it has a source of ammonia (fish) ?

Also. i am probably going to breed my panda corys- well try :p- and need a small sponge filter. how would i go about cycling this?

A good couple of months for the new internal.

For the sponge filter you could take some already cycled sponge and stick that on it rather than use what comes with it.

For the internal you could put half your existing media in it which would seed the rest if the sponges, this would likely reduce the amount if time needed for the bacteria levels to build up to a useful level.

I just cycled a sponge filter in my main snail tank in 22 days. Normally your looking 6 weeks just run them in a normal tank side by side

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back