Cycle Won't Budge! Frustrated!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chloebo

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I set up a 55 gal long tank on 8/10. Dosed it with 4ppm ammonia (ACE brand, pretty sure it's pure. Doesn't specify added surfectants, etc.) Added gravel from an established tank. A week later, readings were 4.0 NH3, 0 NO2, and 5 NO3. Since then, not much has changed! I just got a 4 NH3, 0 NO2, 10 NO3, and 8.2 pH.

I have a HOB filter, water is about 80F, and a bubbler is going. I've added QuickStart (did nothing) and Microbe-Lift (4 days ago, boosted the nitrates from 5 to 10ppm).

Is it going? Do I just have to be more patient? Shouldn't the ammonia be dropping? It's been 5 weeks and I want fish! :(

Sounds like your cycle either has stalled or your test kit may not be accurate.

What test kit are you using? 
Liquid based test kit tends to be more reliable and accurate than paper strip test kits.

Did you add dechlorinator to the tank water?

What have you done so far re cycling process, just added 4ppm at very start and nothing since?
No water changes or leaving filter switched off or anything like that?

Have you got any plants in this tank?

Have a read of this Fishless Cycling article, it may be of help for you -

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

4ppm Ammonia is a little on the high side btw, better off with dosing 3ppm.

Something should be happening, especially after 5 weeks, sounds like your cycle has stalled for some reason.

I've been using API master kit, and followed the directions carefully. I did a 50% water change a couple weeks ago, and dosed it back to 4ppm NH3. I haven't turned the filter off, should I? I figured it needed to be on. I've read articles and thought I was following it right. No plants in the tank. Yes, dechlorinator, but not the kind with ammonia binders.

I'm tempted to drain it and do a fish-in cycle, at least there's some nitrates in there so I guess it can handle a dozen hardy fish or so :(

Filter should be kept on all the time.
Ensure the water surface is rippling, water being agitated helps to oxygenate the water which helps the cycling process as well as for future stocking.

Doing water changes will not really change anything.

Perhaps starting afresh might be better.

Drain out all the water, re-fill, and perhaps get a bottle of Dr Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria may help jump start the process, failing that, getting some mature media from a friend or family member who has had a tank running for a while will help, even LFS do give away or sell cheaply some media from their tanks, depends really on LFS.

Is the tank water heated?
Having a heater set at 26 - 28C or 78 - 82F will help bacteria growth, be sure you have a thermometer on tank to ensure heater is functioning as should be.

And lastly, again, ammonia / NH3 should be at 3ppm, not 4ppm.

A fish in cycle is far more stressful and time consuming to do rather than a fishless cycle.
Means a LOT of water changes and testing daily, the water changes stresses the fish out, making them prone to disease / illnesses, so chances of losing fish during a fish in cycle is high.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/

The filter has always been running and there's a bubbler, surface is pretty agitated. The water is about 80. I guess I'll drain it and start over :( what a waste of a month.

Am sorry you are going through this.

Do follow the fishless cycle i linked earlier on my first post to the letter and hopefully you will succeed this time.

If anytime you get stuck or unsure about anything during the process, do post questions, we will help as much as we can.

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back