Cycle With One Filter Or Two ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jasmas

Reaction score
I'm restarting an old tank. It's been cleaned and filled just over half way (220L) to check for leaks, all good. The internal heater and filter are working, filter pump is being soaked at the moment in white vinegar solution. Will empty tank tomorrow morning.

I've got 20Kg of JBL sansibar sand substrate, which I'll rinse and clean tomorrow morning and then place in the tank.

I've purchased new coarse and fine filter material for the Jewel internal filter block. Was going to discard the old ones. Should I also use a nitrate removal sponge or is this not required during cycling?

Should I also run my Eheim pro 2 external filter to cycle the tank (bought new filter material online which i'm waiting on)? I'm thinking it would be more effective and hence quicken the duration of the cycle. 

I'm not sure what we shall stock the tank with
fish.gif
 but currently leaning towards African cichlids. Possibly ones that like rock formations. Should I place the rocks are the start of the cycling process or can they be added later once I know what fish we'll go with?

Thanks in advance for any advice 
good.gif

Decor can be added at any time.  So, there's no rush in that.

Also, I'd suggest that if you are going to keep two filters on the tank long term, it would be better to cycle with those filters in place.  if you are only going to keep one filter long term, it would be better to keep it that way as well.

Finally, the nitrate removal sponge, I believe that there's no reason not to use it, but no real reason to use it for the cycling process.  

Thanks
good.gif
 . Just finishing the sand, hopefully get it running tonight with the internal filter and test the pH, KH & GH, then add required ammonia after a day or so.

Will introduce the external filter once I have the new filter material later this week.

Then to research African cichlids as I think that's what we'll stock the tank with 
yes.gif

Most reactions

Back