CYCLE SOS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The time it takes for the filter bacteria to break down the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate depends on temperature, oxygen levels in the water, the amount of surface area in the filter, and the amount of water flowing over and through the filter media.

The ideal temperature is around 26-28C. At lower temperatures the bacteria don't grow as fast. And at higher temperatures they slow down too. But anywhere between 22-28C is fine.

If the oxygen levels in the water are low the bacteria won't do as well and will take longer to process ammonia. Good surface turbulence will maximise oxygen levels in the water.

The more filtration area the more bacteria, and the more bacteria, the faster they can remove ammonia from the water. If you only have a small internal filter with a little sponge it will take longer compared to a filter with a sponge that is twice the size of yours.

If you only have a small power filter it will usually take more time to pump the tank volume through the filter media. A bigger filter with a higher flow rate will filter the water faster. But too much water flow can also inhibit the process because the bacteria don't get enough time to remove the ammonia.

Most times it is a small filter media with a small surface area for the bacteria to live on.

The time it takes for the filter bacteria to break down the ammonia to nitrite and nitrate depends on temperature, oxygen levels in the water, the amount of surface area in the filter, and the amount of water flowing over and through the filter media.

The ideal temperature is around 26-28C. At lower temperatures the bacteria don't grow as fast. And at higher temperatures they slow down too. But anywhere between 22-28C is fine.

If the oxygen levels in the water are low the bacteria won't do as well and will take longer to process ammonia. Good surface turbulence will maximise oxygen levels in the water.

The more filtration area the more bacteria, and the more bacteria, the faster they can remove ammonia from the water. If you only have a small internal filter with a little sponge it will take longer compared to a filter with a sponge that is twice the size of yours.

If you only have a small power filter it will usually take more time to pump the tank volume through the filter media. A bigger filter with a higher flow rate will filter the water faster. But too much water flow can also inhibit the process because the bacteria don't get enough time to remove the ammonia.

Most times it is a small filter media with a small surface area for the bacteria to live on.

Thanks again. My tank is 180 litre and I have the external Eheim Ecco Pro 300. I have the filter outlet above the water line so it's literally blasting bubbles about 2 inch below the surface, so gas exchange to oxygenate the water should be more than enough.

Just seems like a slow process, not helped by my lack of understanding. Just seems after 4 weeks the tank should be processing ammonia a lot faster. But what do I know.

According to Eheim the filter should do your tank 4-5 times per hour, That should be sufficient to remove ammonia pretty quickly. This is going to sound like a silly question, but have you checked the taps on the filter to make sure they are fully open? And make sure there are no twists or kinks in the hoses.

Make sure you have the inlet tube on one side of the tank and the outlet on the other side. If you have the outlet near the inlet you don't always get good mixing of the water and that will take longer to filter the water effectively.

Yes the taps are fully open, flow Smisby nice etc, intake and outlet are on opposite sides of the tank, everything seems OK. I might let ammonia drop to zero, do a 50% water change and then add fish the following day. I only intend to start with about 6 Cory's...

If your nitrates are higher than 50ppm, do a 80-90% water change, then let the tank run for 24 hours and then add a couple of fish. The big water change will dilute nitrates and everything else in the water. And allowing the tank to run for 24 hours after that will let everything settle. Then do one last ammonia, nitrite & nitrate test before going out to get the fish, and if it's all good then go get a couple of fish :)

Make sure any new water being added to the tank is free of chlorine/ chloramine.

OK so 36 hours ago I added 6 harlequin rasbora and 2 Oto.

Water test readings are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back