Cuecumber??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PanthyWanthy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard from a friend that it is ok to give my fish cuecumer?? is this right or is he pulling my leg.... if he is correct how big and how often can i feed it to them.. also do i need to peel it?
the fish i have are as follows

1 red tail black shark
2 chinease algea eaters
4 mollies
2 guppies
2 blue gouramis
1 zebra danio
9 neon tetras
2 clown loaches

also another quick question.. which of these fish are fin nippers as my guppies tails have been badly nipped

Yes, you can give your fishies cucumber - mine love it as well as courgettes, shelled peas, lettuce and brocoli florets - they eat the green "flower" and leave the stalks. Cut of a slice, not too thick, wash it well (some blanche it - personally I don't) and attach it to the gravel (I use an icecream stick - I push it through the veggie and then stick it in the gravel).

Regarding the fin nipper, my bet's on the red tail shark.

I agree with Gadazobe, my bristlenoses love cucumber.

As regards the fin nippers, could be the other guppy but most probably the Red Tailed Shark.

What size is the tank btw, as the RTS grow quite large (ish) and the CAE can be a little terriortorial.

I cut the cucumber in half vertically, and then half it horizontally and give her 1/4. I always peel it. My catfish doesn't like the skin, but maybe that's just her. :D

Valerie

Edit: forgot to mention, I take some weight sticks and poke it through the slice. I always find it floating around the bottom by itself. :)

I just use a vegetable clip, your clowns will go bonkers over any of the foods that gad mentioned :p

The fin nipper will be the single danio,nasty little characters when kept alone.

Personally i use courgette instead of cucumber but thats because i cant stand the smell of cucumber :sick:

I agree with cat fish crazy - I would imagine that the fin nipper is the zebra danio. If you have room, add 5 more or so to make a school and you shouldn't have any further problems. Those type of fish can be sort of aggressive, especially to long finned fish, so if they don't have others of their kind to keep re-establishing a pecking order they'll nip. A school will keep them happy, as well as helping keep their mind off of those oh so pretty long fins. :) As for veggies - I feed my fishies shelled peas, they love them!

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I tried the cuecumber and my fishes thought it was xmas :lol:

The chinese algea eater was a right piggy - he sat on it for most of the night and wouldnt let the others get a look in :lol:

Once he had finished the Clown loaches had a gool old suck on them - and sorta dug a hole right through the middle of it lol

how often can i give it to them? maybe once a week?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the fin nippers - my bet has been on the Shark too - he seems to chase everything at the moment - he can be a nasty bugger as he has got older and bigger - But i've never seen him actually bite them - he just chases them to let them know he is king of the tank :lol: he is about 3 - 4 inches long at the moment

He's met his match though with the CAE - they seem to chase each other around.
As I said before though I have 2 CAE's - both were the same size when i bought them - but one has got really big and the other is quite small - this one tends to hide alot - seems rather scared :( the bigger one will not let it out much cos everytime it comes out for a nose around he gets chased back to his hiding place by the other one :(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My tank is 20uk gallons i think - 30x12x15 is the size

Fanks again.. Panf :D

Most reactions

trending

Back