Crypto Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MarchHare

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So two days ago re-did my aquascape by pulling out some plants that were not doing well.
Put in a nice bunch of Crypyocoryne Petcii. This I split at the roots and put it toward the back of the tank.
So far I havn't used any ferts.
I thought it best to come here and ask your advice first.
I have flourish root tabs and liquid fertilizer.
I've been cautious with the ferts due to an algae outbreak.
Lowered the lighting a bit and thoroughly cleaned that tank.
Thanks for any advice.

Here's the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 135
Most crypts are heavy root feeders so root tabs are needed to keep these lovely plants at their best.

Any algae outbreaks due to root tabs are unlikely due to the simple fact these tabs are buried under the substrate and will not be able to get in the water column so there should be no nutrient overbalance etc.

Many thanks Ch4lie.
The same part time LFS employee that told me that you cannot keep more than one Otocinclus, because they are very territorial, and would wind up killing each other, also said that fertilizer shouldn't be used for Crypts and that it would probably kill them.
Guess where I no longer go for my information and help.
Root tabs shall be deployed.
Very happy there is a place to get good advice and information.
March...

Try and get decent root tabs, personally I use Seachem Flourish Root tabs and my crypts grow well but its fairly expensive stuff though.
Any root tabs that contains both micro and macro nutrients is key basically for good growth.

Some folks do their own DIY oscomote root tabs that they fill into dissolvable sacs. May be worth reading up on, I considered doing that at one point but somehow never got round to doing that, am too lazy I guess :)

As for LFS advice, I agree with you, stay away from LFS advice.

More often than not they will say just about anything to sell their products. Its unfortunate and bad business imho.

Though of course you can buy whatever you like from the LFS provided you know and have researched what you're after but just take thier advice with a big pinch of aquarium salt! :D

Roger: "the big pinch of salt".
I have Flourish Comprehensive root tabs and will place a couple.
I tried the "Osmocote" thing. What a disaster.
Froze about 20 balls each in two ice cubes. Planted in two spots.
Next day my Ammonia and Nitrates were much too high.
Thought it was because I had switched over to a sponge filter and air pump.
Byron came to my rescue and pointed me at the Osmocote. (Thank you Byron)
Dug all the Osmocote out and did a 60% water change. Things didn't really settle down until two water changes later and much cleaning of gravel.
I'm fortunate that I didn't kill my Betta.
Another hard lesson learned.

I was going to post a caution on the osmocote after Ch4rlie mentioned it, but you obviously remembered my past advice (nice to know someone listens, lol), so I can move on. Will just say the Osmocote issue is because it is a terrestrial plant fertilizer, adding way too much nitrate and phosphate, both of which are not needed in such quantities in an aquarium.

Seachem Flourish Tabs do seem one of the best plant fertilizers. I cannot prove Seachem's claim that these will not dissolve such as to leech nutrients into the water column (comparable to adding liquid fertilizers) but I can say that having a situation in a couple tanks where liquid fertilizers were causing me real issues, the change to just the tabs resolved the algae issues and the plants looked as good if not actually better.
So I have been able to lower the amount of liquid additives (which is always better for the fish, regardless of any other issues). I replace the tabs every two months (Seachem recommend 3-4 months) and now after a year it definitely is working better all round.

The comment from the fish store about fertilizers likely killing the crypt is a bit misleading, as this is certainly true but they do not appear to have explained it very well. Crypts are highly sensitive plants, prone to what is commonly termed crypt melt, where the leaves literally within hours turn into a pile of mush. The roots usually remain alive, and if not disturbed the plant may grow new leaves. Sometimes this takes a few weeks, sometimes months even. The cause can be any change in the plant's environment. Changing the light intensity--and I have seen this from a tube that was left too long before replacement, and adding new tubes; fluctuating or sudden change in GH or pH; change in temperature (several degrees, not what occurs with a normal water change); changing fertilizers; moving the plant or disturbing the roots. A couple species seem stronger to resist this than many others. So the store was on the right track, but didn't cover all bases.

Liquid additives are more of a concern here than rot tabs, in my experience. I use the Seachem Flourish Tabs with two crypts (Cryptocoryne crispatula or balansae), and I saw no change when I started this, and that was after I moved the two plants to a different tank. My other crypts in the same tank, which I think are C. wendtii, do not get root tabs and are doing very well. I do add Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Trace and Flourish Iron to this tank, but in less than half the suggested doses of each. It is a 90g, so there's lots of space for additives to disperse. This tank is also the one that developed significant brush algae twice just from a second dose weekly of Flourish Comprehensive (without the Trace or Iron at all). The balance can sometimes be delicate.

Byron.

Many thanks Byron.
Always very informative.
Thought I would be conservative with my first placement of the Flourish tabs.
Split a couple of them with a steak knife. They are hard, so you really have to give them a whack. Sunk 1/2 in three spots at the back of the tank, near the roots.
Yesterday I noted some melting along the edge of a couple of leaves. Today it seems to have stopped. So far no further melting.
Have hopes that they will adapt to this tank.
Inhabitants seem to be doing fine.

Melting leaves in crypt is fairly common. A lot of root plants do not like being moved really so melting leaves is to be expected in some cases.

However you should start seeing some new leaves /shoots coming from the roots, sometimes this takes a little while.

Thanks Ch4rlie.
I had read that Crypts were delicate and didn't like to be moved etc.
So, I treated them very carefully and didn't rinse them before putting them in the tank.
This may have been a mistake.
Seems I got a hitchhiker.
Spotted a very tiny snail making its way across the glass this afternoon.
Too tiny to I.D.. Its about 1/8 by 3/16.
Called the LFS primarily to identify, but he said there were no snails in their Crypto tank.
So, either its a gift or one of my Nerites gave birth.o_O lol

I recall that Nerite snails require brackish water to reproduce, but I may be mixing it up, so others can correct me if wrong. Regardless, there is still every possibility that the snail arrived on this or other plants, or otherwise.

Chances are it is one of the harmless and very useful small species, such as pond, bladder or (even better) Malaysian Livebearing. The pond and bladder are very similar in shape, and lay eggs; the MLS is long, shaped like a cornucopia, and as the name says, live bearing. I have thousands of these.

Small snails like these get everywhere, eating all organics they find, breaking them down faster for the various bacteria to deal with. They also keep the biofilms clean, and will eat algae though not problem algae which is too much for them to manage effectively. A real helpmate to the aquarist.

Byron.

Thanks Byron.
Think your right about the Nerites.
So far have not seen any eggs, but they are still young.
It'll be interesting to see what this lil' bugger grows up to be.
I'll have to remove him if its a species with long feelers. That would be too much of an enticement for the Betta.
Got to finish my DIY hood for the other tank and get that cycled.
March...

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back