Creamsicle Molly Behavior

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Amyprunes

Reaction score
I have a few questions about 2 creamsicle mollies that I just added to my community tank. I have a 55 gallon tank currently inhabited by 6 fruit tetras, 1 angelfish, an upside down catfish, 2 plecos and 2 gold panda mollies that we added 3 weeks ago. The rest of them we have had for at least a year, some of them over 3 years now. When I added the gold panda mollies I had no problems or issues with them. Today, when I added the creamsicles, they seemed to be pretty high strung and aggressive with my tetras. They are chasing them and maybe nipping at their sides, but not their tails or fins so much. The tetras don't seem unusually bothered by this, and I'm used to them chasing each other all the time. I just don't want to add new fish in that are going to upset the peaceful balance in my tank. The angelfish charged at the new fish a few times, but has since become uninterested in them, but he has never done this with any of the other fish, even the panda mollies that we added last week. So is this normal behavior for creamsicle mollies when adding them to a new environment? And will they eventually adjust and stop harassing my tetras. :) Second question, can somebody tell me if they are male or female? image.jpgimage.jpg

The first pic is definitely a female. The other pic is a little blurry so I can't really tell...

the first pic, is definitely a female, the lighting isn't so good on the 2nd pic, but when I baught my pair the lfs worker told me the females were a dull orange, and the males a deeper orange, i'll have to see if I can get a pic posted to show.

Colouration is not an indication of gender with mollies - there has been so much selective breeding of all the common livebearers, that they are now very far removed from the wild originals - particularly so with platies and guppies.

The left hand picture is definitely a female. The right hand one - hmm, the initial view seems to be male, but upon closer inspection, the blurriness could be a fin.

What complicates things with lyretail mollies is that they have again been selectively bred to have elongated fins - but this can then make the females' anal fins look long and thin - when I first got into the hobby, I was sold two female mollies because the LFS worker thought they were male.

With the above caveat in mind, have a look at this thread here, which will give you the only correct way to tell the gender of livebearers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back