Crazy shrimp question...but...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can make a guess as to how long it would take for about 2 dozen shrimp, ghost shrimp, if that matters, to cause ammonia in a 75 gallon un-cycled tank.

I thought about starting to cycle my 75 gallon today. The water is very clear now, still a little bit of tannin's, but not nearly as much.

I noticed fuzzy stuff growing on the driftwood. It grew on the wood in my shrimp tank too, and the shrimp cleaned that wood like crazy. So I thought, instead of waiting for the fuzz to go away, why not get a bunch of shrimp and let them have a wonderful time doing it for me? Then when the ammonia finally did start to show up I could move them to the shrimp tank and proceed with the cycle.

Any thoughts?

Shrimp need stable water conditions and a mature tank ( mature means at least 2 or 3 months after cycling ), You will just end up with a bunch of dead shrimp.

I wouldn't put the shrimp in unless the tank is cycled, it is as inhumane to them as it would be to use fish. Do a fishless (shrimpless!) cycle, then add the shrimp as a cleaning crew once its ready. Its much easier to control the ammonia if you use a bottled source such as Dr Tim's - it removes much of the guesswork.

I am not trying to be inhumane....at this point there is no ammonia in the tank. :) Just clean water. My question was how long would it take for tiny shrimp to cause ammonia and need to be removed. I know about Dr Tim's. I have a bottle. I did not intend to cycle with fish or shrimp in the tank. I was only wondering how long it might be before I needed to remove them due to ammonia. And I still wonder just how much ammonia those little shrimp produce and how long it would take to show in a tank that size.

And yeah, I forgot about the need for an established tank. Now that is something I needed to be reminded of.

Thanks!

Ahhh now I get it :) sorry julielynn47 for my confusion! I'm not sure how long it'd take for them to cause an ammonia buildup TBH. I have a big colony of ghost shrimp in my 50 gallon axolotl tank as a cleaning crew, and I would say the waste they generate would be pretty minimal. I guess the only way to know would be just daily testing with an API kit? And then remove them once you get a reading of ammonia?

Yeah, that was what I was thinking about doing. :) But I guess if they need an established tank, this is not it. LOL I just put water in it a couple weeks ago.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back