Crazy High Ammonia Levels?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bentz69

Reaction score
Ive had my 36 gallon tank up and running for about 4 months. Tank was fully cycled after a few weeks using tetra safe start. I have 12 cichlids (4 yellow labs, 4 acei, 4 red zebras) in the tank and 1 pleco. All about 1-2".

Before these high ammonia levels, I did 50% water changes each week and vacuumed once a month. My water levels were always 7.4-7.6ph, 0-.25ammn, 0 NI, 20-40 NA.

About 2 weeks ago I checked the water and the nitrates were between 80-160 (closer to 160 but hard to tell), 0 nitrites and .25ammn. I did a 75% water change and the nitrates were down to about 20.

3 days ago I checked the water and the ammonia looks like its between 4.0 and 8.0!!! Nitrates looked to be around 80-160 again. I changed roughly 80% of the water and checked the levels an hour later. Nitrates were down to 20 but the ammonia was still between 4.0 and 8.0. I added prime to the tank b.c I was worried for the fish.

The next morning I removed all the fish, rocks and decor. I vacuumed the gravel thoroughly making sure to stir up all the gravel and I changed about 90% of the water.

I checked the water today and the ammonia is between 4.0-8.0 again after a vacuum and 90% water change. 7.0PH, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10.

All the fish are very active (like always) and they are showing no signs of stress. I have 2 HOB filters with carbon filters, fluval foam around the filter intake pipe and aquaclear biomax inserts inside both of the filters. I changed the carbon filters about 3 weeks ago. Ive had the biomax inserts in the filters for about 2-3months. I rinse the fluval foam inserts once a week with tank water to clean them out.

Whats causing this ammonia spike?

Edit - Tank temp 80°, Im using gravel, food is NLS cichlid pellets, I feed them 2x a day.

Is there something wrong with my ammonia test kit? If the ammonia was really 4.0-8.0 for 3 days wouldnt these fish be dead by now?

Oh yeah, your fish would be belly up in an hour if the ammonia was that high! Something is wrong with the test kit, since you say that they are acting normally. Take the kit back and get a new one. Saliferts and Red Sea are good kits, API is questionable according to many people.

Maybe something with your tap water? I don't think that's the case... but might be worth looking at since it's gotten REALLY high after you did a major water change... have you tested your tap water?

ETA: Caprichoso probably has a better idea than I do... :p I had missed the part about your fish being fine...

Try buying pureified water and test it...if it has ammonia in it according to your test kit, then your test kit is dodgy.

Title edited to remove swear word...... I notice this is your first post... So welcome to the forum.

I tested my tap water and it reads 0-.25. I know this normal for my tap water b/c I tested it a few months ago and I got the same results.

Tap water

Happy fish lol

Oh yeah, your fish would be belly up in an hour if the ammonia was that high! Something is wrong with the test kit, since you say that they are acting normally. Take the kit back and get a new one. Saliferts and Red Sea are good kits, API is questionable according to many people.

Ive had the kit for 4 months. Theres no expiration date that I can find on the api kit. The ammonia bottles have lot #s of 84A0611 and 83B0511. Is that the expiration date (06/11)? All the other bottles have the same lot numbers printed on them

The expiry date is just a guideline on how long the test kit "may" work for. It doesn't mean that it will work up until the expiry or even at all for that matter. I would guess that those numbers are probably the expiry date which will make returning the kit all the more easy for you.

If your ammonia levels were that high your fish would probably be dead. The test kit is by API. Api makes alright products but most of their products aren't satisfying.

I understand if the ammonia was really that high the fish would be dead. I tested my tap water and I got a normal reading.

When I added new tap water after vacuuming I treated the water with aqueon water conditioner to make it safe.

After the tank was full I added 20ml of API ammo lock because I had no idea what was going on the past few days so I wanted to be overly cautious. Doesnt the api ammo lock convert the ammonia to ammonium (or something like that) and make it safe for the fish? Would that still show a very high ammonia level?

Just for kicks I'd suggest taking a sample of your water to the LFS (local fish store) and have them test it, just to see what their results are. Have you accounted for all your fish? I'd think it would be very easy with your tank setup to lost track of something (including uneaten food) in those layers and layers of rocks, which are impossible to clean thoroughly.

The use of Ammo lock will give false readings on a test kit. After a few water changes, there should be no more of it present. Try doing a reading then.

The test kit should be ok because I work on snails in the us and if we use recently used kits with particles in them it throws us of by up to 1.5 ppm

Ive had the kit for 4 months. Theres no expiration date that I can find on the api kit. The ammonia bottles have lot #s of 84A0611 and 83B0511. Is that the expiration date (06/11)? All the other bottles have the same lot numbers printed on them

I believe the dates at the end of the lot # are manufactured dates...in your case, manufactured 6/11 and 5/11 respectfully. See link:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/api-test-bottle-expiration-date-question-128388.html

Ammo-lock just basically prevents the ammonia from harming your fish, but doesn't remove any ammonia from the water.

Most reactions

Back