CPD swimming weird

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ambush0908

Reaction score
Hello all,

My saga continues with Celestial Pearl Danios. Got a new one on Thursday. It is swimming in a jerky way. It is like he is bobbing up and down. It is in my 15gal tank with 3 others, 6 cherry shrimp, 6 ghost shrimp. No visible problems though fins seem to be clamped. Nitrites and ammonia 0, nitrates 10, PH is 8. Temp is 78. 50% water change today. Symptoms already had started before change. I am hoping it is just acclimating. Anybody have an idea of what may be happening?

That PH to me seems to high for CPDs though they should get used to it do you have wood in there to take PH down some?As for the danio,is he doing it on the glass?Did you just add him today if not when did you add him?

Your description would suggest swim bladder problems. This disease (which usually cannot be cured so far as I am aware) can occur from several things. Shock (sometimes fish will recover from this), injury or water parameters are the most common.

I assume you realize that you need a group of 7+ to avoid serious problems within the group. It is always best to acquire and add them at the same time to avoid hierarchial problems with fewer. Acclimatization is important; no mention is made of GH which is a crucial parameter. Another possibility is injury during netting and transport, especially the netting.

Byron.

Thanks for the replys. The fish seems to be be recovering but I decided it was for the best to throw in the towel on keeping the CPD's. I was able to return them to my LFS for credit. I am not sure why I am only having trouble keeping the CPD's but it doesn't seem fair to the fish for me to keep failing. Hopefully they end up in a better place.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back