Covering tank no benefit if in sunlight is this true?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a 70 ltr tank, it has two filters running and 15-18 small fish.i had a small algae problem nothing major so I removed everything cleaned tank and hoovered tank. I have been told to cover tank during the day to prevent algae growth, someone who I would assume has good experience with aquariums has told me there is no point covering tank if there is direct sunlight coming into the room and hat the algae will still grow. What are your opinions? I would have assumed if the tank was covered during the day it would not matter if light was coming into the room.

i have a 70 ltr tank, it has two filters running and 15-18 small fish.i had a small algae problem nothing major so I removed everything cleaned tank and hoovered tank. I have been told to cover tank during the day to prevent algae growth, someone who I would assume has good experience with aquariums has told me there is no point covering tank if there is direct sunlight coming into the room and hat the algae will still grow. What are your opinions? I would have assumed if the tank was covered during the day it would not matter if light was coming into the room.

By "covered" are you meaning putting something like a towel or blanket over the tank to eliminate any light? Or do you mean a cover on the top, like a glass panel or hood?

The tank may get direct sunlight but for no longer that an hour a day. If it's covered tho will that not eliminate that light from getting in? I mean by covering with a towel

The tank may get direct sunlight but for no longer that an hour a day. If it's covered tho will that not eliminate that light from getting in? I mean by covering with a towel

can you not just cover the window where the direct light is coming from?.....that way the room will still be somewhat lit up, without the direct sunlight hitting the tank

Unfortunately i cant cover uo where the light comes in. I cant move the tank also

No to answer this question. If sunlight is reaching a tank, and you put a towel or similar covering over that portion of the tank, the sun will heat the tank water which is just as bad if not worse than the light aspect.

There is no option but to somehow prevent sunlight from hitting on an aquarium. Either close blinds/drapes on the window, or move the tank. Sun hitting an aquarium is a serious problem for heat, more than light. As sunlight moves through glass, it can become very hot.

Unfortunately i cant cover uo where the light comes in. I cant move the tank also

I explained the serious problem about this in post #8 above. You have to do one or the other.

1h of direct sunlight is no problem for a tank. Don't worry to much.

Is your tank planted? If not, get some! Well growing plants are the best countermeasure against algae.

It's not planted its plastic, I am kind of new to this and have not tried real plants. To be honest I would not know where to start with real plants

If you have to, tint the windows (or wherever you're getting the incoming light from). You can also purchase cheap mat and apply a cheap adhesive to the window and stick it on. And plop, your light issue is fixed.

I would do this or even put up a blind if i was able but its my landlord, he wont let me drill or hammer nails in apartment

A free standing screen could be positioned next to the window. Or even a clothes horse with a blanket over it, though that wouldn't look as nice.

Just sunday past i took all my plants out of the tank and clenned the algae of plastic plants, i hoovered the tank also and cleaned the glass. Does anyone know about a product called esha protalon 707 anti algae treatment i have been told if i see any algae starting i can use this and it will remove the problem. Is it bad for the fish?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back