Couple of questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

freshy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I started a fishless cycle 3 days ago. I know it's still early but I have this question about my tank's (10 gal.) ph reading, because if somethings really wrong, this may be the right moment to correct it.
From day 1 I got an ammonia reading higher than 5 ppm and nitrite is still at 0. I suppose the ammonia I'm using is pretty strong. What concerns me is the ph reading. My tap water tests 8.5 ph while the tank's is 9.5. Is this normal? :blink:
My other question is: should I keep testing daily for KH and GH too?,and once the tank is cycled, how often should I do the testings?
Thank you for any help!

There are a couple of reasons why the PH would be higher in the tank. There is often a lot of co2 in the tap water that causes a lower ph. In an aquarium the water movement causes this to be released, and the ph goes up. Is there a chance something in your tank might be contributing? Some rocks and sand will cause the ph to rise as well.

You will want to test the water weekly, or even a couple times per week for now, since the tank is new. When you have found the water stable you can pretty much stop testing. I wouldn't worry about the GH, the PH is the only real concern.

clutterydrawer said:
however even at 8.5 that's a bit high for most fish isn't it? :unsure:
I would say so, this may be a case for a pH buffer.
I've never used them, and am not advocating their use... no idea if they are good or bad or worth it.

I hear that bottled ones like "pH up" etc can be unreliable and cause big pH fluctuations. which is obviously bad. but I think you can use acidic filter media like peat to lower pH.

First, take some tap water, place it in a shallow bowl, and let it sit out over night, then test it. This will give you the 'true' pH of your water. If this is less than what is in the tank, you'll want to consider testing the decorations and gravel in the tank.

What kind of fish do you want? There are some cichlids that will find your water acceptable, and most all fish can be acclimated to these conditions. If you want to breed fish, you will likely need to modify your water, as eggs are very sensitive to pH and TDS, which will also be very high in your tank.

If you choose to modify your water, avoid the chemical additives. At a guess, you have a very high GH and KH as well, and these additives will result in a yo-yo effect--not to mention requiring huge doses. These chemicals actually add more 'stuff' to the water, which won't help either. Instead, your best bet will be to use RO filtered water, mixed with your tapwater. RO is very close to pure water, and will dilute your tap water. You'll have to experiment to determine the appropriate ratio, and then always use this type of water for changes. It can get expensive, even if you purchase your own RO filter, but wil result in stable water conditions.

Thank you all for your replies! :)
Oh man! I really wouldn't want to mess with chemicals.
I do have some rocks and, yes my KH went up from 11 four days ago, to 14 today. However my GH is 5. That's not very high is it? I'm using the tetra laborette kit. I'm not sure how reliable it is but, for the money I payed, I'm hoping it's pretty accurate! My mom (who is a biochemist) lent me some of the ph measuring strips they use at her laboratory and got lower readings: tap 7, tank 8. The difference between the two is still there though.
As for the fish, I'm hoping for some plattys, mollys and/or guppys. Not sure yet.
One more thing, excuse my ignorance but, how do I test the gravel and decorations?

Do what Chasing Punk suggested, i.e. leaving the tapwater in a shallow bowl overnight then testing it, but also set up another bowl, jsut the same, only with a rock in it. then the next day test the pH of both the bowls, if the one with the rock in it is higher, then the rock is affecting your pH.

a simpler way to do it is to drip hydrochloric acid onto the rocks, if they fizz, then they shouldn't be in your tank.

OK I've done my homework! This is what I got after letting tapwater sit overnight:

tapwater= 8.5 ph
tapwater with gravel in it = between 8.5 and 9 according to my test kit color chart.

I also used the hydrochloric method on the rock I put in the tank and they didn't fizzle, so I'm guessing it's the ammonia that's rising the ph. Do you agree? Do you think I'll get a lower ph after the tank is fully cycled, so the fish can adapt more easily to it?

Thanks for the help.

Another good way of lowering PH is wood.. either Mopani or bog wood. The tanins released by the wood lower the PH over time.
Both will stain the water like a tea colour but this will fade with water changes and time.
Best thing is to soak your wood for a few days in a bucket ;) ..changing the water (better warm) twice a day. That gets rid of the worst.

But it does work.
New gravel also will make the PH rise by as much as 0.6. Again this will be reduced over time with water changes but will take some months.

Best advice for fish is to stay clear of all livebearers with PH that high. Maybe get some Danios they don't mind high PH . Cory catfish are great ..hardy .. and do a great job of cleaning your tank bottom. Maybe one gourami.. I say one.. cos they always fight and cause a fuss if theres any more.lol :lol:

Maybe then after about 4 months or so when your tank has settled in and has begun to mature and you have more idea of your new PH..maybe then think about livebearers.

Good luck.. but beware...its very addictive :rofl: :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back