Could this stocking idea work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I know you said you are planning a bigger tank but this tank is not big enough for a single adult rope fish. Most rope fish won't accept frozen food and only eat live food. They certainly prefer it live and some of the other species you mention qualify as live food.

My suggestion is that you stock the current tank appropriately for its size and look at setting up a large species tank when you have one in place.
Okay sounds like a good idea!

Any idea on any of the other species of fish? Or any cool recommendations on fish?

Thanks!

With what you already have in this tank, none of the other mentioned fish will work, for various reasons, some of which have been touched on by other members. There are issues with numbers, compatibility, temperature, tank size...etc.

The species now present that are in too small a group is a very serious issue that must be addressed if you want healthy fish. Shoaling fish have a need for the group, five or six in the case of loaches, more for some other fish like barbs, and denying this is frankly cruel to the fish. This is not blaming you, you were seriously mid-advised by the store (an all-too common issue) but now you must correct things or the fish will suffer, guaranteed.

I won't get into specifics of the issues unless asked.

With what you already have in this tank, none of the other mentioned fish will work, for various reasons, some of which have been touched on by other members. There are issues with numbers, compatibility, temperature, tank size...etc.

The species now present that are in too small a group is a very serious issue that must be addressed if you want healthy fish. Shoaling fish have a need for the group, five or six in the case of loaches, more for some other fish like barbs, and denying this is frankly cruel to the fish. This is not blaming you, you were seriously mid-advised by the store (an all-too common issue) but now you must correct things or the fish will suffer, guaranteed.

Okay, thank you for the advice, should I wait to get more Loaches/Danios until I have the larger tank ready (3-4 weeks)? Or should I just get them now to decrease stress even though it's only a 20 gallon (I'll do much more water changes and everything until the tank is ready).

Also, my main fish I wanted was the butterfly fish. Is there anyway this could work with the fish I have? If not, why?

(Sorry if not understanding and stuff)

Thank you!

Okay, thank you for the advice, should I wait to get more Loaches/Danios until I have the larger tank ready (3-4 weeks)? Or should I just get them now to decrease stress even though it's only a 20 gallon (I'll do much more water changes and everything until the tank is ready).

A 20g is way too small for them, now. When it comes to a larger tank for the clown loaches, we mean at minimum a 6-foot, but an 8-foot is actually what you need. Is this really possible? If not, or "maybe," you should re-home the loaches now before they are detrimentally affected by stress from the numbers. This may already be occurring, it is not possible to see until it is too late and the fish either turns aggressive or dies.

Loaches are highly social fish, and have an inherent need (programmed into their DNA) to develop an hierarchy within a group of five minimum or more. Think of it as serious mental issues developing.

The Giant Danio in a group of six or seven would fit this tank, but not with gourami; danios are active fish, gourami are sedate, and the two do not mix.

The Siamese Algae Eaters are another problem waiting to occur. Also a shoaling fish, but at six inches...I would re-home. Not a good match with loaches anyway. And the weather (dojo) loaches...also not compatible, these must have cooler water.

Oh how I do wish store staff had training, or at least the wisdom to do research before advising. We could avoid so much distress to fish and their keepers.

No hillistream loach. They need very fast moving water which gourami's need slow moving water. Next pearl gourami's need to be in pairs or groups.

A 20g is way too small for them, now. When it comes to a larger tank for the clown loaches, we mean at minimum a 6-foot, but an 8-foot is actually what you need. Is this really possible? If not, or "maybe," you should re-home the loaches now before they are detrimentally affected by stress from the numbers. This may already be occurring, it is not possible to see until it is too late and the fish either turns aggressive or dies.

Loaches are highly social fish, and have an inherent need (programmed into their DNA) to develop an hierarchy within a group of five minimum or more. Think of it as serious mental issues developing.

The Giant Danio in a group of six or seven would fit this tank, but not with gourami; danios are active fish, gourami are sedate, and the two do not mix.

The Siamese Algae Eaters are another problem waiting to occur. Also a shoaling fish, but at six inches...I would re-home. Not a good match with loaches anyway. And the weather (dojo) loaches...also not compatible, these must have cooler water.

Oh how I do wish store staff had training, or at least the wisdom to do research before advising. We could avoid so much distress to fish and their keepers.
Would it work to get 4-5 more Loaches and when they start to outgrow then re-home them?

I don't particularly want to get rid of my Loaches but if it's best for them I will.

By
No hillistream loach. They need very fast moving water which gourami's need slow moving water. Next pearl gourami's need to be in pairs or groups.
By hillistream loach do you mean weather Loaches? I've only heard them called weather Loaches. Could I get a breeding partner for the Pearl and blue Gourami and would that make it better for them?

By

By hillistream loach do you mean weather Loaches? I've only heard them called weather Loaches. Could I get a breeding partner for the Pearl and blue Gourami and would that make it better for them?
No. Weather loaches are completely different. Hillistream loach is also called butterfly pleco.

No. Weather loaches are completely different. Hillistream loach is also called butterfly pleco.
Okay, I have weather Loaches, are those okay?

By Butterfly Fish I meant African Butterfly Fish (the ones in the same family as arowana (the boneytongue family)).

You need a few weather loaches. Like 6. But they have a specific diet. They eat snails as well!
Okay, I have weather Loaches, are those okay?

By Butterfly Fish I meant African Butterfly Fish (the ones in the same family as arowana (the boneytongue family)).
You need to get a least 6 African butterfly fish as well.

You need a few weather loaches. Like 6. But they have a specific diet. They eat snails as well!

You need to get a least 6 African butterfly fish as well.
Okay the Loaches are no issue, but 6 butterfly fish wouldn't that cause a lot of aggression? We're thinking of the same fish right? They sit at the surface and eat crickets and things. I'm by no means an expert or even decent at half this stuff I'm just confused because I thought butterfly fish were solitary or pairing fish but I don't know.

Okay the Loaches are no issue, but 6 butterfly fish wouldn't that cause a lot of aggression? We're thinking of the same fish right? They sit at the surface and eat crickets and things. I'm by no means an expert or even decent at half this stuff I'm just confused because I thought butterfly fish were solitary or pairing fish but I don't know.
They actually are fine in groups of 5 or 6. Believe it or not. Tbh I don't know where you are going to get these butterfly fish as they aren't common in pet stores.

They actually are fine in groups of 5 or 6. Believe it or not. Tbh I don't know where you are going to get these butterfly fish as they aren't common in pet stores.
My local Petco actually gets butterfly and rope fish every few weeks and they sell pretty quickly.

My local Petco actually gets butterfly and rope fish every few weeks and they sell pretty quickly.
Hmm ok...you can get one and try it, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back