Could this stocking idea work?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AydenD

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm not entirely sure if those goes here but I have a couple questions regarding whether this stocking would work and what could be done to change it so it would mostly work (i.e. removing one species so all the other species can live together).

I have a 75 gallon tank (it's 4ft long by 18 inches deep and I think 24 inches tall)

Fish that WILL be going in the tank (I already have them in a 20 gallon)

One Blue Gourami
One Pearl Gourami
Two Clown Loaches (small)
Two Weather Loaches
Two Giant Danios
Two Siamese Algae Eaters

Here are some fish I was thinking of that I would want and would want to be able to keep the most of them as possible

Amazon puffer (because they're a "community puffer"(still a puffer so can be nippy I know))
African Rope Fish
African Butterfly Fish
German Blue Rams
Snowball Pleco
Assorted Tetras/Danios
Possibly Discus (probably not, not a deal breaker)

Obviously I don't think I'll be able to keep all of those with my existing fish but I was wondering what everyone on here thought about the fish I listed and was wondering if you guys had any other cool/colorful fish that would work in a community.

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

AydenD

Last edited:
I’d ex the puffer. They have actually been known to kill other fish. Just my opinion.

Two Clown Loaches (small)
They need to be in a group of 6 or more, Will they stay small forever? No they will grow to be about 12 inches long.

Giant Danios
These should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

Do you know your water parameters? is the water soft or hard? Whats the PH?

They need to be in a group of 6 or more, Will they stay small forever? No they will grow to be about 12 inches long.

These should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

Do you know your water parameters? is the water soft or hard? Whats the PH?

I know the groupings should be more, my water parameters are all good, and it's the slightest bit hard. pH is about 7.5. That's for my existing 20 that has the community, my 75 is still cycling.

Last edited:
Ok so then you know that 6 full grown clown loaches wont work in a 75?

When stocking a tank always work with adult fish sizes.

Ok so then you know that 6 full grown clown loaches wont work in a 75?

When stocking a tank always work with adult fish sizes.
Yes, which is why I would leave the pair. They do fine on their own in my tank. Also, it'll be 6+ years before the clown loaches even reach 6 inches and it'd be a max 3 years before I got a larger tank.

Yes, which is why I would leave the pair. They do fine on their own in my tank. Also, it'll be 6+ years before the clown loaches even reach 6 inches and it'd be a max 3 years before I got a larger tank.
The advice you were given is correct. Not really sure why you asked if your mind is made up.

Clown loaches are very social fish and even have a hierarchy or pecking order if you will, The group is usually led by a female having only 2 is very stressful on the fish and that leads to all sorts of problems, Having kept Clown loaches I would say 10 is better than 6.

The advice you were given is correct. Not really sure why you asked if your mind is made up.
I was more so asking if the fish I listed as wanting would work with each other and the fish I had. I could always get more Loaches and when the time comes sell or donate them if they get to large, I just don't like to give away fish haha. Plus, every clown loachs I've ever introduced has an an extreme case of ick and I find it generally leaves the worst fish thin for weeks even after treatment and a healthy and full diet.

Clown loaches are very social fish and even have a hierarchy or pecking order if you will, The group is usually led by a female having only 2 is very stressful on the fish and that leads to all sorts of problems, Having kept Clown loaches I would say 10 is better than 6.
So would you recommend getting 4-8 more and if they begin to out grow the tank move them to a larger tank/give them to someone who can tank care of them better? I have people who would take large clown loaches without an issue so if that's the best bet I can do that. Any ideas on whether the want recommendations I had would work amongst each other and the fish I have?

That will work.

These were my Clown loaches at 12 months old, They think I am going to feed them.

Thats how they always were always in a group, thats why numbers are important.

The water is cloudy because I only use and recommend Easy Life Fluid Filter Media.

I was more so asking if the fish I listed as wanting would work with each other and the fish I had. I could always get more Loaches and when the time comes sell or donate them if they get to large, I just don't like to give away fish haha. Plus, every clown loachs I've ever introduced has an an extreme case of ick and I find it generally leaves the worst fish thin for weeks even after treatment and a healthy and full diet.
That will work.

These were my Clown loaches at 12 months old, They think I am going to feed them.

Thats how they always were always in a group, thats why numbers are important.

The water is cloudy because I only use and recommend Easy Life Fluid Filter Media.
Okay, I see, cool video also! I'll check out your channel.

Do you know if any of the other wanted fish work?

I've heard good things about Rope Fish, should be kept in 2s or 3s, they aren't generally agressively but may still eat small fish, and I think they're really cool.

I really like African Butterfly Fish but I know with them being in the boneytongue family and having that big mouth it can lead to some problems. Will they go after smaller fish on the bottom? Or is it okay to have a little smaller fish on the bottom and larger fish mid-water?

German Rams I don't think would be an issue right? They stay pretty small and aren't so aggressive if I remember correctly.

A snowball Pleco shouldn't be an issue I don't think, it's non-aggressive and should stay out of harms way for the most part. Am I correct in that?

Danios/Tetras should be okay so long as thier tank mates are and they have the same water parameters.

Discus I think look cool but they can lead to a whole host of issues and problems later down the line and can be quite hard to keep, right?

Hi

Now you see why its important to keep certain species in numbers.

I have never kept African fish so wont give advice on that..

First up is this tank going to be planted? How heavily?

One Blue Gourami
One Pearl Gourami
I wouldn't keep 2 types of Gourami, The Pearl or Lace Gourami is peaceful and timid and a male Lace Gourami in breeding form is one of the most stunning fish in the hobby. I hear Blues can get a bit aggressive so not a good mix.

I know you said you are planning a bigger tank but this tank is not big enough for a single adult rope fish. Most rope fish won't accept frozen food and only eat live food. They certainly prefer it live and some of the other species you mention qualify as live food.

My suggestion is that you stock the current tank appropriately for its size and look at setting up a large species tank when you have one in place.

Hi

Now you see why its important to keep certain species in numbers.

I have never kept African fish so wont give advice on that..

First up is this tank going to be planted? How heavily?

I wouldn't keep 2 types of Gourami, The Pearl or Lace Gourami is peaceful and timid and a male Lace Gourami in breeding form is one of the most stunning fish in the hobby. I hear Blues can get a bit aggressive so not a good mix.
I don't know if it's going to be heavily planted or not. Once I decide what fish are going to be in there I will decide what plants to get/not get and add fish after.

With the Gouramis, I wasn't told they could get aggressive until after I had them both. I watched then closely for about a week to see any signs of bullying or stress and saw some bullying from the smaller pearl to the larger Blue but after that I haven't seen any. They get along very very well in my 20 they never fight or get aggressive they both eat and they both are very healthy. I believe they are both females but I couldn't be certain.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back