Corydoras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mataya McGrath

Reaction score
Hey, I recently got a 39 gallon tanks, and was thinking about getting some Corydoras, and was wondering how many I should get, and what kind etc. They would be housed with roughly 15-20 guppies maybe more(I try to sell them as they breed) and need to know what kind would be happier with the higher temp and such. Anything I will need to know to own them would be helpful.

Hi there :)

We really need to know the dimensions of the tank, and the pH and hardness of your water, before we can properly recommend species for you.

Agree with above post. Also, by "higher temp" exactly what temperature is the tank water? Cories do not like too warm water, with a very few species exceptions, but even they have limits.

Hi there :)

We really need to know the dimensions of the tank, and the pH and hardness of your water, before we can properly recommend species for you.

hi thank you for your clarification. The temperature of my tank at the moment is 74-75 degrees most of the time depending on room temp. I don't know the hardness of the water but it is tap-water. I recently ran out of ph strips but I will buy some asap. It's a fairly new tank I've had its since the start of march if that means anything.

To find your hardness, look on your water supplier's website. It should be on there somewhere. Look for a number not words (slightly hard, for example, is meaningless for fishkeeeping) and we need the unit they use as well as there are half a dozen they could use.

Or take a sample of tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test the hardness - again ask for the number and unit, not words.

There is no problem with the temperature in the low to mid 70's F. Room temperature (unless it gets very cold in winter for example) is fine for cories and guppies. Summer heat waves are also not a problem as they are not permanent, just so you know.

Follow essjay on the GH.

To find your hardness, look on your water supplier's website. It should be on there somewhere. Look for a number not words (slightly hard, for example, is meaningless for fishkeeeping) and we need the unit they use as well as there are half a dozen they could use.

Or take a sample of tap water to a fish shop and ask them to test the hardness - again ask for the number and unit, not words.

so it say units are mg/L and average hardness is 169

mg/L (milligrams per litre) is the same as ppm (parts per million).

if the water is 169mg/L or 169ppm then it has a medium hardness and is fine for most fish including: tetras, barbs, gouramis, Corydoras, rasboras, angelfish, grouamis & Bettas.

The water is probably a bit soft for guppies, platies and swordtails and definitely too soft for mollies. If you get locally bred guppies, platies or swordtails they should be ok, but the imported fish will struggle. :)

mg/L (milligrams per litre) is the same as ppm (parts per million).

if the water is 169mg/L or 169ppm then it has a medium hardness and is fine for most fish including: tetras, barbs, gouramis, Corydoras, rasboras, angelfish, grouamis & Bettas.

The water is probably a bit soft for guppies, platies and swordtails and definitely too soft for mollies. If you get locally bred guppies, platies or swordtails they should be ok, but the imported fish will struggle. :)
oh sweet I didn't know that! thanks a lot! I do have some imported Endlers and have started dying off so thats probably why haha. as far as I know all the guppies from pet stores here are imported but who knows.

how long have the endlers been dying for and what symptoms do they show when dying?

if you can post a picture or short video of the endlers we might be able to work out what is happening to them. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back