Cory Swimming Sideways?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alternatively, I can't recall the name of it but there's a disease very similar to columnaris that is common for corydoras catfish. Maybe Wilder knows. I'll try to find the name of it.

Haven't a clue snazy.
All I know is that corys are very prone to picking bacteria infections up from the substrate. This is why it's very important to keep up with weekly sand, or gravel vacs.

It sounds like the platy has columnaris.
Myxazin by waterlife good for mild cases. Medication not meant to harm good bacteria in your filter.

Columnaris has many disguises.
Bleaching beneath the skin.
Cotton wool patches on fish mouth, body.
Saddle back columnaris. Goes along the back, and down the sides of the fish to form a saddle shape.
Cotton strands, mouth, fins.
White edging to scales.
Columnaris spots. Greyish white spot, with a circling of red around the edges, or a pink centre.
Greyish film on fish with cotton patches.
Can show as white, pink, brown, yellow, cotton wool patches.

Yeah I did a gravel vac yesterday. I'll let you know how it does, looks better already though. I can try myxazin, never used before though, do I want to isolate the platy or is it okay treating the whole tank? Can I also treat for ick just in case or does it not look like it at all?

Alright, no bother. I was reading about it the other day and I thought I remembered the stupid name of it because I actually never knew about it. The symptoms are the same as columnaris, can't find it now and I've been searching :sad: and there was a whole scientific paper on it. It was just worth mentioning in this case and corys are not succeptible to columnaris, so who knows. But yes, I agree that first common cause is bacterial infection and chlorine kills most of them :lol:

Anyway, glad the chlorine treatment is ok so far. See if it's showing any improvement(swimming properly), then maybe another one in a few hours can be done, although it causes stress to the fish, there's not too many options at the moment.

Yeah I did a gravel vac yesterday. I'll let you know how it does, looks better already though. I can try myxazin, never used before though, do I want to isolate the platy or is it okay treating the whole tank? Can I also treat for ick just in case or does it not look like it at all?

If it's columnaris, you need to treat the whole tank as it is highly contagious. However, make sure the medication is not toxic to corydoras. And I wouldn't treat for ick at the same time. Ick is parasitic, columnaris is bacterial. Ick dies in high temperatures, bacteria thrives in high temperatures. So you can't treat for both, also you can't mix medications too.

Sorry I forgot to mention in my early reply. Glad to hear the corys seems abit better.
I think with having 2 sick fish I would maybe add the myxazin by waterlife to the tank., Didn't you have a sick gourami a few weeks back. Was the fish in the same tank?

Signs of whitespot.
Tiny bubbles on fish body, fins can sometimes mean the fish is going to break out in whirespot.
Tiny white spots the size of a grain of salt.
The fish will look like it's been sprinkled in salt.
Sometimes excess slime, finrot.
Flicking and rubbing.
Gasping, laboured breathing.
Sometimes signs of darting around the tank.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it. I will run to the store shortly for Myxazin.

Alright, no bother. I was reading about it the other day and I thought I remembered the stupid name of it because I actually never knew about it. The symptoms are the same as columnaris, can't find it now and I've been searching and there was a whole scientific paper on it. It was just worth mentioning in this case and corys are not succeptible to columnaris, so who knows. But yes, I agree that first common cause is bacterial infection and chlorine kills most of them

I know how you feel when you can't remember. It's so annoying. I always just add the info to my favourites, or note book.

Get you some info as you need to lower your temp.

Columnaris
>The hospital tank should be heated to approx. 74 degrees. 76 and above is the ideal breeding temperature for columnaris. Though there is some dispute over lowering the temperature, my experience has been that 72 is too low for the medication to work rapidly, 76+ causes the disease to breed more rapidly than the anti-biotic can kill, and 74 is "just right." Remember to keep this temperature stable.
Text (c) Lauren Weeks

Can you keep the thread updated so we know how the fish get on RyanV. That's if you don't mind.

Good Luck.

The sick gourami was also in this tank, so I will add the medication to the whole tank. I will post the results back here in a bit :)

OK.
Good Luck.

While we are still on the "quick dip" wave, you can put the platy in salt(no iodine or anticaking agents) bath instead. Columnaris hates salt and platys are not affected for short periods of time(corys don't tolerate so well though so I wouldn't suggest this)

A salt dip can be done in some tank water with dissolving the salt first in the water.
The link below is for discus but the amount is the same recommended for all dips. Basically, if you are using the concentration explained in the link below, the fish will stop moving and turn on its side soon after, sometimes in 30seconds. At this time you need to quickly move it back to the main tank(that's why observing the fish is most important during the dip) The fish may lose colour and appear a bit stressed but then quickly recover.

Here is the link. It's explained how often it can be done. In the mean time strict maintenance and gravel vacuuming is best to stop the disease from spreading.

http://www.ukdiscus.co.uk/library/discus-health/salt-dip.html

I have not had a good night trying to find that medicine. First place I went to was out of it. The second one I called first to make sure they had it, they said they did, got there and they didn't -.-

I picked up Melafix instead, do you know if this will work? It says it's for bacterial infections. Just in case it isn't my girlfriend said she will try another store when she gets off work. Should I go ahead and treat now with Melafix or wait?

If I should go ahead now with Melafix it says to treat for 7 days and remove the carbon. The only thing i'm worked out is removing the carbon that long because the pouch that holds it, has most of my bacteria on it. I have an additional sponge and filter floss in the filter so should I be okay?

I picked up Melafix instead, do you know if this will work? It says it's for bacterial infections

No, it will not work. Do not treat them with melafix

Melafix is the last medication to use for any serious bacterial infections and on top of that is the last to use against columnaris. Columnaris is caused by a gram negative bacteria. In fact, most fish bacterial infections are caused by gram negative bacteria. Melafix can only treat super mild cases caused by a different type of bacteria group(gram positive)For columnaris, you need Kanamycin or Furan 2, or even both together for extremely hard cases(do your research about dosage for corys as they are very sensitive to medications and it can kill them)

Seachem kanaplex is kanamycin, seeing that you are in the USA.

Here is a link from the manufacturer of Seachem Kanaplex(kanamycin):

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/KanaPlex.html

I am having a hard time finding the product anywhere. One store said they it but were out of stock and I didn't catch the brand. They said they may get more monday. You think I will be okay waiting? Should I check with a fish specialty store tomorrow? I have to drive a bit though :/

I am having a hard time finding the product anywhere. One store said they it but were out of stock and I didn't catch the brand. They said they may get more monday. You think I will be okay waiting? Should I check with a fish specialty store tomorrow? I have to drive a bit though :/

You know, there's no point to treat if you don't have the right medication. Melafix certainly won't help as I mentioned and will just put more strain on the fish, can even have very negative effect.
There are several types of strains of columnaris, some killing fast and some slow. If all your tank is not dead by tomorrow, then more likely the slow version but I can't of course guarantee.
If any fish worsen, do the dip treatment tomorrow.

Did you get hold of some aquarium salt?

Most reactions

trending

Back