Cory, Plecos And Bamboo Shrimp. Feeding Plan?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Starletta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am hoping someone could help me with a feeding plan for these guys.

I have 2 ten gallon tanks. Besides a few other fish -

Tank 1  - A Pleco and a peppered Cory.
Tank 2  - A Pleco and a Bamboo Shrimp (which is really neat to watch)

Morning, both tanks gets fish flakes.

Evening, both tanks gets freeze dried Blood worms that float. The regular fish love these.

Plus each tank gets an Algae Wafer and Sinking Wafers that contains Krill, spirulina, and Silkworm. Says, ideal for Bottom Feeders.   Many times one of the Algae wafers just dissolves and is not eaten.           Is this overkill in regards to too many different types of foods? Is there a more simple feeding plan the the Bottom guys and Algae eaters? One Pleco keeps the tank Algae free, the other guy is so-so.

I've tried giving the Plecos lettuce and blanched Zucchini for a treat and they didn't eat it.

Thank you!

Try cucumber for a treat for the plecos, they prefer it although not the best nutritional value.
There's no such a thing as overkill when it comes to food variety but if there's food left overs, feed less.
If you feed twice a day, be careful how much you feed as for a 10G tank it's really easy to get in trouble with the water quality.
Sometimes fish just don't like certain brands of food and just don't eat them unless there's nothing else, so maybe that's what's happening to your algae wafer. Just don't give it to them each day.
Blood worm should be given as a treat, a couple of times a week, not each day. It's a high protein food so watch the water quality.
I think that you can reduce the food amount a bit.

On a side note, corys love to be in groups and a lonely cory isn't the best. The tank is too small though, otherwise I'd suggest get at least a couple more of the same species.

Thank you... I'll limited the Blood Worms, although they LOVE them!   I haven't tried cucumber yet, so I guess that is on this weeks shopping list. 
smile.png
  The 10 gallon tank that has the Peppered Cory has 3 glofish, and one Pleco.  Perhaps I could add another Cory? 

Does the high protein effect the water quality?   I am very diligent about my water changes.

I find that the best way to feed foods like blood worm is on a 'treat' basis; maybe a couple times a week. Blood worm is rich in protein and fats which is good for the fish but also good at adding a lot of waste to the tank. Make sure you defrost then strain the blood worm from the block as the water is frozen with is bad for your tank and doesn't aid your fish at all.

Cory's are a shoaling fish so definitely prefer to be in a large group.

Remember to blanch any green foods before adding them as fish will find it easier to eat.

I see a bigger tank in your future, so you can fit all these fish into one tank, plus add enough of some species to give them a happy shoal with enough numbers.

I feed cucumber without having to blanch it at all otherwise it seems to disintegrate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back