Cory Eggs! How Long Do I Leave Them?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

greenmumma141

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My cories are spawning for the first time!! I found one batch of eggs this morning and they just laid another. I moved the ones from this morning to a breeding net, but how long should I wait to move them???

The should hatch on or about day 3.  Watch them and make sure they consistantly get darker.  If they stay white they will fungus and if not removed will fungus the good eggs so keep a good watch on them.  

Green :)    I have two batches, roughly 18 or so, in the breeding net. There was another in my vallis, but they got eaten before I could get to them. Pretty sure I have two females laying, one of them is very smart and laid hers above the bubbler so the rasboras couldn't get to them.   

I admit, I started this post because in the crazy of trying to figure out what to do, I forgot that the eggs are fertilized before the females lay them :blush: ...  all this spawning and egg caring is starting to make me a little frazzled lol.  All this time, I couldn't wait to have my fish lay eggs, and now my angels and cories both spawn for the first time in the same week! Sheesh....

Thanks for the help guys, Ill keep updating this post about the fry and hopefully we get some wigglies :)  anything I should know to do in the next couple days? I have the net very close to the outtake, so it's getting a good amount of flow, but not too much to keep knocking them about.

So these breeder nets are a thing of joy eh? what a piece of junk.  It is so frustrating, and no matter what I do, it sits at an angle so the eggs keep getting stuck underneath the plastic frame and I'm scared they'll get skwooshed, so I have to keep moving them with my tweezers.  They haven't darkened up so hopefully tomorrow I'll see a different color when the lights come one.   

The babies are really small when born. When I used one of these nets, all the babies escaped through the holes. If your net isn't very fine, then there's a chance that will happen to yours too.  They can also be sucked up from outside by other hungry fish too.

Just come from your Angel breeding thread and seeing as I enjoyed it. I think I better subscribe to this one :)

Good luck!

snazy said:
The babies are really small when born. When I used one of these nets, all the babies escaped through the holes. If your net isn't very fine, then there's a chance that will happen to yours too.  They can also be sucked up from outside by other hungry fish too.

Yikes!! It's pretty fine, so much so that a big air bubble keeps forming underneath it, but it has made me nervous with the other fish poking at it...And it's hard to see what's going on in there. I think I'll pick up a plastic one tomorrow. Any pointers with those? Thanks snazy.

snazy said:
I think I'll pick up a plastic one tomorrow. Any pointers with those? Thanks snazy.
Watch out for the slits in the bottom/sides, they can be pretty big!

I'd stick with a net one tbh, even if it was just finding a finer one :)

The only time I had success in actually raising cory fry was when I set up a fry tank and hatched the eggs there. I think I had 9 bronze fry, and I still have them about a year and a half later. Every other time I've attempted hatching them in the mother tank it doesn't happen.

Good luck with yours!

I did use a plastic one with slits at the bottom, not the sides. When newly born they can go through that by accident, for example if you flush water over. My clown loaches sucked them up once from there too. But then I covered the entire bottom with sand afterwards and haven't lost one. After 3-4 days they are too big to go through. Then  adding tank water a couple of times a day will do as "water changes".  The sand prevents the babies from falling and the water still circulates. I had it setup like a mini tank, with some floating plants, moss, moss ball, some other cuttings to block the light from the tank. They were perfectly fine. And I fed them tetra baby min 24 hours after hatching, making sure it all sinks.  Some syringe to suck up uneaten food then as well will be needed. The food becomes fluffy on top of the sand after 24 hours if not eaten.
Good luck with the babies.

Sounds like you are working in a busy maternity unit!
Good luck with the breeder net - have never used one so can't advise there.
Will be followiung this thread as avidly as the angel-fish one!

Okay, at some point the eggs hatched! They are so different than angel eggs, I think I should have researched some more. I'm a bit frustrated, as I can only see one swimmer in the breeding net. He's def too big to squeeze out of the mesh, so that's good, but trying to feed them is ridiculous, all the food just sinks through the bottom. I didn't realize they would go from eggs to swimming in such a short time, and on top of that my camera is broken I think so I can't get a good video. He looks like an egg that's swimming around lol. But out of 20, only 1?  I think i missed something here for sure....  I'll keep looking, maybe I missed some but I don't think so.

I picked up a plastic breeding box today but there's no way I can move him now...   yikes :blink:

Scoop him out with a small plastic cup or similar if you can but try not to stress him. Maybe wait until tomorrow when he's eaten the yolk sac(that's why I suggested to feed after 24hrs as they won't eat food yet)
He may have been slightly bigger than the rest(big yolk sac) and the rest went through the holes maybe?
I found it impossible to feed powdered food in a net too, plus it attracted all other fish to the net.

Most reactions

trending

Back