Cory cat giving birth help please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mel92

Reaction score
Hi my neme is Melanie, I am new to the fish world. I have 4 albino cory cats and after what seemed like forever of the female getting HIGE and expecting her to lay her eggs she finally started to. However instead of thinking I got excited as a child on christmas and frantically took her and the male cory swimming around her out of the tank and into where I want the eggs to save them from being eaten by the other fish. Now she has stopped laying her eggs..how bad did I mess up? Will she continue?
Please no super harsh comments I already feel like an idiot.

Hi, she probably wont lay anymore until she feels safe, the best thing to do is leave her in the main tank and let her and him get on with business.
The female usually collects the males sperm (whilst forming a T Shape with their bodies) then the female swims away and lays her eggs then fertilizes them with the collected sperm. The eggs are soft at this point and shouldnt be moved, they probably will get eaten but there will be some left as she lays hundreds, they will harden in a matter of hours then they will be safe to scraped off the glass and moved to a holding tank.

She actually started up again a few min after I posted! now there are eggs all over the tank I put her in! I am very excited! thank you for responding so fast. How will I know when she is done? Will all the eggs hatch or just some?

She will probably just settle down after a couple of hours, then you can move her, you are actually very lucky that she started again :0) as long as the male is in there with her doing his thing then the eggs should be viable.
You can move her and the dad back tomorrow.
Not all of the eggs will hatch and depending on the species will all be out by 3 days or so, the ones that turn white and fluffy are not fertile and the ones that turn beige are.
Just make sure you have good water flow in the tank or an air stone, put in some dried leaves now so they have something to feed off.
The dried leaves will develop a biofilm which is perfect for first foods for fry that is so small.

If you dont have any dried leaves add in some plants from the main tank if you have any - they can pick off the microorganisms, or use fry food for egg layers.....and if you dont have any of that you can boil an egg and use the yellow, just squash it down to mush with tank water, just keep on top of the cleaning as the tank fouls very quickly with egg yolk.

If you have got enough eggs I would move the fish as they might eat their own eggs. Don't wait too long.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back