Cories Hiding Away

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vivh

Reaction score
hi

I have 2 corydoras, i do not know the sex of them.
They have recently taken to staying inside of a plastic cave i have in the tank, whereas before they were being more active.
The one has been out of the cave, but the other I haven't seen for ages, I know it isn't dead ! as I could just see it still inside the cave.
I don't know much about Corys, is this normal behaviour? and are they more active at night?
Also i wondered if maybe they were breeding, but I don't know how they spawn. Some of what i've read says they lay eggs on glass, is this right?

I will go and look at articles on corys now! but any info would be greatefully received.

Thanks
Viv

Mine were like this for several months. once they found the caves. I wouldn't say nocturnal so much as crepuscular- mainly out and about just before and after tank lights. After 5 months or so they started coming out into the open more; I think partly because they matures and started spawning, and partly because I added dither fish.

When they spawn it won't be hiding away in caves, they dance all over the tank and you can't miss it, they go all over the tank and it looks great fun! :D He lays sideways quivering and she digs her head into his side at right angles (the T position) and stimulates him with her barbels. Then she lays a few eggs at a time into a clutch formed by her ventral fins and then swims off to find a place to deposit them. Then they start all over again.

I have a two Panda Cory's that I bought a few weeks ago and one of them does the same. I have tree ornament and he likes to hide just inside peaking out, he very seldom comes out unless the tank light is switched off, his little mate will go in and spend time with him and then come out again. I heard that they like to find hiding places so I suppose yes it must be normal. :D

To see natural Cory behaviour you need more than 2... a minimum of four...

To see natural Cory behaviour you need more than 2... a minimum of four...

thanks for that bogwood, i had heard that they are better in groups, will not put any new fish inyet though as had a few deaths in recent weeks. will give it consideration though for when i am buying, can you mix the Corys species and would they get on??

Viv

Most reactions

trending

Back