Coral Suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'm looking for some Corals to add to my nano (24G 18" cube), so nothing that gets too big.

Currently I have:

Star Polyps
Leather Toadstool

The water movement in the tank is pretty high (20x or more) and I'm upping the lighting this week to 144W (4 X 36W PCs 50/50 daylight / actinic).

I'm planning on getting some Zoos and a Sun Coral at some point, but other suggestions would be appreciated.

Mushies are pretty cool, the best looking coral i've seen down the LFS is a bright green hammer coral but they are semi-agrresive.

Open brains are really cool as well or are you sticking with softies to start with?

Forgot to mention my mushroom.

Am happy to try anything within reason, been tempted by an anchor coral actually.

Whats your budget like? ;)

I agree with the Zoos, but I'm picky about my zoos. I want really colorful ones which are tough to find. The dull orange, brown, and dark purple ones are common, but I'm on the lookout for something bright green or bright pink... Would look really cool methinks :). Sun polyps can be difficult as they require feeding. For that reason I've stayed away from them.

If I had a nano with rocks so close to the surface as you, I'd try some royal blue encrusting montipora, or some purple pocillipora. Both are a little costly and very difficult to keep, but they look gorgeous IMO. Also, I'd put an elegance coral in my tank. Those are a little less demanding from a care standpoint, but very demanding from a pocketbook standpoint ;)

As a good easy choice I'd also try an open brain :)

Open brains are awsome, although they prefer to be placed in the sand bed. Have you tried spaghetti or finger leather coral? There cool, im on the look out for one. Blasto's are awsome, but you might have trouble finding those. Hmm...have a look in the index, I think SH has made some profiles of basic "nano suitable" corals he keeps. :good:

Elegence Coral looks nice, but I think a frog spawn / anchor coral is top of the list.

Totally agree on the Zoos, I can buy brown ones anywhere, colourful ones on the other hand seem a real rarity.

I would say that with your lighting a hammer coral would be cool. Also I must say that mushrooms are the sweetest. Before my cube broke I had 7 different kinds of mushrooms. They are just so pretty, and you can get into coral propagatoin easily since they grow and multiply so fast.

1 word

ricordea

Del049.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back