Coral Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ShubhaSingh

Reaction score
Hi
I am new here, and currently in the process of setting up my 100L aquariumonly for hard corals (pocillopora), could anyone provide help me by suggesting the types of lights I can use to mimic  sunlight and moonlight .. :) 

When you say hard coral (pocillopora) you are talking about SPS corals. Hard corals fall into two groups LPS which pare large polyp stony (these include brains, torch hammer and elegances) the other is SPS corals (Acropora, Montipora and seriatopora) generally both require high light outputs so you would require something along the lines of LEDs or Metal halide lights. Although LEDs will seems more expensive to purchase in the beginning the overall cost of running and replacement of the halide bulbs every 6 to 12 months make the LEDs the cheaper option in the long term. To mimic the rising and setting of the sun most of the higher end LEDs units now automatically do this in the programming options when you first program the unit to your specifications. I current use the Ectotech radians over my mixed reef tank and have had huge success in the growth and expansion of both soft, lps and sps corals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back