Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Coquina clams

Discussion in 'Saltwater Invertebrates & Corals' started by Jessie J., Nov 18, 2018.

1. Jessie J.

Jessie J. Fish Fanatic

Hi everyone. I might be getting some coquina clams soon. I already know that they are going to be a challenge to care for, because they can't get enough food in a reef tank, but I was thinking about keeping them in a shallow tank with some oysters or sltwtr. snails. I'm going to hand-feed them a mix of ground and moistened paste-style fish foods (with meat in them) and use the oysters to help keep the water clear. What do you think?

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Don't bother getting them. They bury themselves in the sand and you never know if they are alive or dead.

Clams and oysters are filter feeders and will remove fine particles of food and plankton from the water, but they still need a filter to remove ammonia. You can use live rock as a filter and grow Caulerpa and Halimeda in the tank.

3. NickAu

NickAu Member
    Tank of the Month Winner!

The smell will tell you if they are dead.

4. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Not always. They can die and their shells remain closed and they remain buried in the sand. The ammonia levels go up and you stir the gravel up and a black rotten clam pops up and then the smell hits you. :)