Copepods during cycling, 90% water change!???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MajorTom

Reaction score
Hi,

My fishless cycle is hopefully nearly done. I got zero ammonia and nitrites yesterday, RE-dosed, the ammonia went back to zero but not the nitrites. I'll keep RE-dosing and testing until i get there!

The tank is planted and has developed a big (and really interesting!) population of copepods. It seems these would make a great, natural food source for my fish when I add them, but convention is to do a huge water change when cycling is complete.

My nitrates are currently 20 (API Master) so not that high.

Am I right in saying the water change is only so big to reduce nitrates?

If so, can I just do a partial change/s to bring the levels down to a safe level? If so, what number should I target?

Cheers, Tom

PS - I've been amazed at the wealth of information available on the forum. It's been a massive help to me to read through the many threads on here. To all you dedicated, knowledgeable answering folk....KEEP IT UP! Every time you answer a newbie question, there will be plenty of people like me silently gaining knowledge as well. I just wanted to say thank you :)

Hey Tom :)

I would stick to doing a big water change at the end of a new cycle. This is the best way to provide a happy and healthy environment for your new fishy friends. If you're worried about losing too many of your copepods, I wouldn't stress about it. You won't be able to get all of them and they will reproduce anyway. We always want our nitrates to be under 20ppm, but zero is even better.

Also, do not add a large group of fish all at once. Even though your tank is cycled, in my experience it is always better to take things slowly and add small groups at a time. Be diligent with your water testing (as it seems you already are!) and keep a close eye on things for the first month or so.

I hope this helps :)

When you do the water change, run the water through a net which small meshed to retain the copepods.

Hey Tom :)

I would stick to doing a big water change at the end of a new cycle. This is the best way to provide a happy and healthy environment for your new fishy friends. If you're worried about losing too many of your copepods, I wouldn't stress about it. You won't be able to get all of them and they will reproduce anyway. We always want our nitrates to be under 20ppm, but zero is even better.

Also, do not add a large group of fish all at once. Even though your tank is cycled, in my experience it is always better to take things slowly and add small groups at a time. Be diligent with your water testing (as it seems you already are!) and keep a close eye on things for the first month or so.

I hope this helps :)

Hi Luca,

Thanks for the advice, I'll be cautious adding fish for sure. My nitrites were still not below 1ppm last night (60 hours after dose to 2.5ppm ammonia) so it feels like maybe I'm not quite as close as I thought. My tank is soft and acidic so I'm expecting things to be slower.

When you do the water change, run the water through a net which small meshed to retain the copepods.

Good advice, I think I'll be able to steal some tights off my wife and put them over the end of the siphon for most of the water change. I'll give the sand a good clean first.

Thanks to you both, Tom

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back