Convict Wont Stop Chasing Fellow Convict

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

supaman900s

Reaction score
Are Pink Convicts known to be less aggressive? I have to juvenile Convicts, One black and One Pink, but the black Convict relentlessly chaises the Pink one all over my tank. I have a 30g Long tank that has adequate cover. I am fairly sure both fish are female due to the Orange/Red coloring on their bellies. Is this common with Convicts? What can i do? I have already had to re-home my jewel cichlid because it was harassing my black convict non-stop.

I have one of the hanging quarantines that all the LFS's use, should i try to separate the two till i can find a solution?

Cichlids are territorial. They will bicker over terriotory unless they are a mating pair. If they are both females then (maybe to a lesser extent than males would) they will have little border disputes over territory.

About the best solution is to take them both out into buckets or some other container, doa water change and move the tank decor around. When they are put back in it will feel like a new environment and they will both be on even grounds for establishing territory. If this doesnt work and the one still harrasses the other constantly, then I would just say to take one back to the lfs and just keep on with the one. Maybe trying to get a male if you want a pair. good luck :good:

I have been keeping / breeding lots of different convicts for over a year.

In my experience Albino (pink) convicts are "slightly" less aggressive (note slightly lol)

In any set up i have had with a mixture of Pink and Blue / Black (males) the most diminant male has always been the Blue / Black

As for your problem, whats a 30g long tank? lol

You will know if you need to intervene, if the chased fish gets damaged fins and starts to be a recluse its time to do something.

Cichlids are territorial. They will bicker over terriotory unless they are a mating pair. If they are both females then (maybe to a lesser extent than males would) they will have little border disputes over territory.

About the best solution is to take them both out into buckets or some other container, doa water change and move the tank decor around. When they are put back in it will feel like a new environment and they will both be on even grounds for establishing territory. If this doesnt work and the one still harrasses the other constantly, then I would just say to take one back to the lfs and just keep on with the one. Maybe trying to get a male if you want a pair. good luck :good:

Agreed, makes sense BUT i have to add, in my experience (which is a lot in this instance, bickering Convicts) chanigng the environment and water changes hardly EVER makes a difference, the dominant Convict almost ALWAYS remembers that he needs to "kick ass" LOL

Well i just caught the pink con and moved him into my hanging tank. It was getting so bad that when i fed them, the pink one would go to retrieve a piece of flake and if it even saw a glimpse of the black con it dashed full speed in th opposite direction. Do you think if i bring the con back and get a different convict i will have better luck? I don't really want to have a decent sized aquarium with only one convict in it, and i thought it is kind of bad to have only one fish i.e. they get board.

A 30g long tank is just a U.S. 30 gallon tank that is designed a bit different so that it is much longer, i think like 4 feet. I think it is just better for territorial fish.

You could always use a divider.. Your best options are:
1. Divide it.
2. Take one back and get a male, but watch to make sure they form a pair, you might have problems, or take both back and get a pair that has already paired up in the store.
3. Get rid of the 30g, get a 40g, and add 3 more females, this should help establish a pecking order and prevent one from getting bullied all the time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back