Convict chichid

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Sophiexox

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I have had my tank for a couple of months now and all has been good. All of a sudden some of the fish started dying. I decided to remove the fish from the tank and do a water change. One of my convicts just laid at the bottom of the bucket. I have put the fish back into the tank and they are all fine apart from the convict. He/she is just laying at the bottom of the tank on its side. To start off he/she wasnā€™t breathing but he/she is now breathing but still not moving. Need some advice on how to get her better and wether anyone knows what could be wrong with him/her. ??

We will need to know more about this before we can diagnose issues and provide advice. Tank size, fish (species and numbers), water change schedule, water parameters (GH, KH, pH), results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Welcome to TFF.

Byron.

We will need to know more about this before we can diagnose issues and provide advice. Tank size, fish (species and numbers), water change schedule, water parameters (GH, KH, pH), results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Welcome to TFF.

Byron.

The tank is 190l we have 2 convicts, and 6 other medium sized fish I donā€™t know the names of them though.. we change the water once every 2 weeks 40%. And I donā€™t know the rest as we donā€™t but test the water??

I'm not going to guess at possibles, because without any of the data from tests it would be guessing and not reliable. I will say though that you need to be doing more frequent water changes, and higher volume. Cichlids are very prone to nitrates, which is a likely issue here. At least once each week, and given the fish and tank size, 50-60% volume each change.

Second, buy the API liquid Master Test Kit. It has four tests, for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Buying the Master combo will bee much less expensive, and you should be testing all four.

As for water parameters, meaning GH and KH, track down the website of your municipal water authority if you are on city water. This data may be posted there, or you can ask them. Hardness is important to know.

Third, find out what the other fish are. You could post photos here and one of us might know them. But without knowing the species, we cannot really answer your questions, and if treatment were to be required we would need to know the species as not all fish can tolerate every treatment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back