Converting From Saltwater To Freshwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

syntax_error

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not quite sure where to place this question, but I figured those in the saltwater forum would be able to answer the best.
Does anyone know whether I can store Aragonite sand for future use? If so how do I do it?

Not quite sure where to place this question, but I figured those in the saltwater forum would be able to answer the best.
Does anyone know whether I can store Aragonite sand for future use? If so how do I do it?

I'm guessing you mean wet used sand?

If so give it a good clean, leave it to dry out and store in a tub, bag etc.

Nick

If it is used sand from a tank being closed down, don't bother, bin it as it will contain a lot of phosphates etc that you really do not want to put back into a new set-up.

Seffie x

Yes, it is wet sand from a tank being closed down. I'm sort of confused now since the two answers contradict each other. Care to clear this up for me anyone?

two answers contradict each other

They certainly do :blink: but its like everything in this hobby, there will always be different opinions :good:

Sand from an old salt water tank should IMHO not be kept because of a few reasons:

Die off of organisms in the sand
Trapped nitrates/phosphates will be let out and pollute new tank

For the price of new clean sand it's not worth it - you would have to rinse and rinse to ensure the sand was clean and even then I would still worry

Seffie x

Yes, it is wet sand from a tank being closed down. I'm sort of confused now since the two answers contradict each other. Care to clear this up for me anyone?

No need to be confused, i totally agree with seffie :nod:

Didn't think about phosphates, nitrates ect.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back