constipated betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bettacrazy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there,

my crowntail has been constipated (well on and off) for a few weeks. i'm quite worried. he only likes to eat bloodworms and won't eat anything else. i've really tried.. but nothing works. once i saw that he was constipated, i've fasted him and try to give him a pea. of course, being as picky as he is he won't eat the pea. the epsom bath has been sort of working... but not consistently. i really don't know what else to do. if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

some other info is that he's in a 1 gallon bowl that has a weekly water change... usually 1/2 water change one week and the next is a full water change. i always preconditioned the water and add aquarium salt and aquaplus to it. no gravel. too plastic aquarium plants. beside three other betta tanks - 2 males and 1 female. still very active and flare at the others. still interested in eating. unfornately losing his colour... from magenta to pinkish-white.

thank you so much!!!! ;)

faste him for a while and evenually he'll get hungy enogh to eat the pea. if u had him on flakes i would rule them out as the cause but if hes on a diet of blood worms then thats cant be it.

trpical flakes contain ash and other filler that can tear up a digestive track and shorten the life of a fish. ( i didn't mean to hijak, just wanted to let everyone know) -_-

Hi bettacrazy!

It sounds like you really love your Betta! I don't have any great advice to offer but I certainly hope he gets better soon!

z.

my betta is losing its colour and not flaring at the others anymore... if anyone has any kind of suggestions, please let me know asap!!!! he's very bloated!!!!! :-( i'm really really worried!!!!

Hi bettacrazy,

Perhaps you should make a duplicate post or a link to this post in tropical fish emergencies. It sounds like your betta is beginning to go downhill and maybe you will get more responses if you post this as an emergency. I wish I could help more...... Good luck- I'll be thinking of you and your betta!

z.

Have you tried feeding him hikari biogold betta food? It's arguably the best brand there is.

hi everyone!!

thanks for all your replies. i guess i should make it clearer.....

he won't eat pellets.... which are by hikari (all my betta loves it)... he only likes eating bloodworms. he was on bettamax for a while when i first saw that he was inactive (that was like maybe a month ago?!). he's back on bettamax now (actually i gave it to him today) as a last try to see if it will revive him.

i heard that tetracycline also works or maracyn-two. does anyone know?

also, my other crowntail is also getting bloated!!!!!! :sad: he's on the maracyn-two because his gills are showing a bit (which never happened). seems like he feels better because he is much more active now. so hopefully, the bloating will go once i fast him for a day or so. is it really common for crowntails to get this problem, i.e. bloating/constipation? my other boy is a veiled tail and he never had any problems, same goes for my girl.

thanks everyone!!!

hopefully, my red crowntail will make it!!! ????

Water quality is the #1 issue in betta disease. You might want to step up your water changes to 100% 1 or 2x a week (assuming the 1g is unfiltered.) also, make sure your boys are warm enough. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back