Constipated Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

baz_78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Betta has a ā€˜bulgeā€™ towards the back of his body that Iā€™m worried may be constipation - circled in the pic.

Heā€™s in a 5g tank on his own which is planted, heated and filtered. All the tank stats appear normal indicating it had cycled ok. His behaviour looks normal - playing in the plants, resting at the top of the tank or behind plants and getting excited when I go near the tank.

Itā€™s worrying me as Iā€™ve not seen any poop in the tank in the time heā€™s been in. Am I worrying over nothing or should I be taking any action? I havenā€™t fed him today to see if this helps.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Barry

Attachments

• 65229C00-7BCA-459C-A4BB-4CBFC310A390.jpeg
    65229C00-7BCA-459C-A4BB-4CBFC310A390.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 167
Looks pretty normal to me. Is the "bulge" the same on the other side? Also, don't be worried about not seeing any poo. I very rarely see betta poo in any of my tanks. I assume it either gets sucked up the filter or it decomposed already.

I believe that is the swim bladder? I have also noticed it is more apparent in bettas than other fish, he looks good to me, like the tank :nod:

The ā€˜bulgeā€™ is he same size on both sides. Thanks for the feedback, itā€™s put my mind at ease a lot!!

Appreciate the thoughts on the tank too, what decorations do you guys have as Iā€™d love to give the fella somewhere to hide/play and grow some of the plants from but canā€™t decide what would look best! Looking for inspiration...

Thanks,
Barry

He looks good to me,

I believe that is the swim bladder?
BB is correct. Its more prominent in Bettas with big fins.

internal-betta-fish-anatomy.jpg

I think the bulge you are seeing is just his spine and/or swim bladder. Many a male betta with a large tail will have that slightly odd bump on both sides. Just google some pictures of other halfmoon bettas and I bet you will see many with it.

Most reactions

Back