Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Constipated Betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Splendens' started by baz_78, Dec 7, 2017.

1. baz_78

baz_78 Member

My Betta has a ‘bulge’ towards the back of his body that I’m worried may be constipation - circled in the pic.

He’s in a 5g tank on his own which is planted, heated and filtered. All the tank stats appear normal indicating it had cycled ok. His behaviour looks normal - playing in the plants, resting at the top of the tank or behind plants and getting excited when I go near the tank.

It’s worrying me as I’ve not seen any poop in the tank in the time he’s been in. Am I worrying over nothing or should I be taking any action? I haven’t fed him today to see if this helps.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Barry

Attached Files:

2. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

Looks pretty normal to me. Is the "bulge" the same on the other side? Also, don't be worried about not seeing any poo. I very rarely see betta poo in any of my tanks. I assume it either gets sucked up the filter or it decomposed already.

• Like Like x 1
  3. betta fish

betta fish Member

I believe that is the swim bladder? I have also noticed it is more apparent in bettas than other fish, he looks good to me, like the tank :nod:

• Like Like x 1
  4. baz_78

baz_78 Member

The ‘bulge’ is he same size on both sides. Thanks for the feedback, it’s put my mind at ease a lot!!

Appreciate the thoughts on the tank too, what decorations do you guys have as I’d love to give the fella somewhere to hide/play and grow some of the plants from but can’t decide what would look best! Looking for inspiration...

Thanks,
    Barry

5. NickAu

NickAu Member

He looks good to me,

BB is correct. Its more prominent in Bettas with big fins.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Demeter32

Demeter32 Member

I think the bulge you are seeing is just his spine and/or swim bladder. Many a male betta with a large tail will have that slightly odd bump on both sides. Just google some pictures of other halfmoon bettas and I bet you will see many with it.

• Like Like x 2