Confused the 60th time!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jredouard25

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So The GH and KH or w.e come from my tap right? So if I wanna lower it or make it higher I have to use chemicals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you can't use chemicals to change hardness.

Hardness measures how much mineral is dissolved into the water. If you need harder water, you have to add more minerals. If you need softer water, you need to use water that's been put through a special filter (called reverse osmosis) that actually, physically removes the mineral particles.

Adding chemicals will only alter the pH temporarily, which is worse for fish than a pH that's stable; and anyway, hardness is more important than pH.

No, you can't use chemicals to change hardness.

Hardness measures how much mineral is dissolved into the water. If you need harder water, you have to add more minerals. If you need softer water, you need to use water that's been put through a special filter (called reverse osmosis) that actually, physically removes the mineral particles.

Adding chemicals will only alter the pH temporarily, which is worse for fish than a pH that's stable; and anyway, hardness is more important than pH.

Like thts why im about to quit. All this hardness water and stuff. Im gonna test my GH AND KH at Petsmart and see wht hppns. Do I test my tap or fish water?

It's really not that complicated, but there's a lot to learn all at once, that's all.

You need to measure the tap water. Make sure you get them to write down the actual numbers, and what scale they've used, that's VERY important!

It's really not that complicated, but there's a lot to learn all at once, that's all.

You need to measure the tap water. Make sure you get them to write down the actual numbers, and what scale they've used, that's VERY important!

Wym in scale . Like ppm and stuff?

Yes; there are a few different scales that different tests use. It might be easier for you to look it up on your supplier's website.

So do I also need to test my phosphate calcium copper too?

Tbh, you don't need to know those; if you were wanting to keep marines, or very sensitive shrimps, you might need to know them, but let's try and keep things simple for the moment, and concentrate on what's most important, which is finding out the hardness of your tap water.

Tbh, you don't need to know those; if you were wanting to keep marines, or very sensitive shrimps, you might need to know them, but let's try and keep things simple for the moment, and concentrate on what's most important, which is finding out the hardness of your tap water.

Ok ty

I have 0-40 ppm of GH and 0-40 ppm of KH. what’s this mean?

It means you have very soft water.

It's not good or bad, it just means you need to keep either soft water fish, or use a mineral mix to buffer the water and make it harder.

If you want to make the water harder, you will need test kits of your own so you can measure it accurately; changes in hardness, or pH, are very, very bad for fish; the shock can kill them, so you must change it slowly, and then keep it stable.

It is quite a lot of hard work, which is why, for beginners to the hobby especially, we recommend you keep only fish that are suited to the water you have.

It's not good or bad, it just means you need to keep either soft water fish, or use a mineral mix to buffer the water and make it harder.

If you want to make the water harder, you will need test kits of your own so you can measure it accurately; changes in hardness, or pH, are very, very bad for fish; the shock can kill them, so you must change it slowly, and then keep it stable.

It is quite a lot of hard work, which is why, for beginners to the hobby especially, we recommend you keep only fish that are suited to the water you have.

How do u keep all tht stable? Putting crushes coral in a filter? Idrk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back