Confused by readings

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Totally agree. I didnā€™t interpret it as arguing, just wanted to straighten things out as often the posts are read incorrectly. Been guilty of it myself a number of times. To already have nitrates, he is very close though. I only consider seeding when using cycled media. Never considered some to refer to it when adding bottled bacteria or Stability. I guess that would be seeding also, wouldnā€™t it? I stand by my claim though that you can get an instant cycle by using the cycled media. Do it all the time. :)

Are you still showing nitrate? If so, give it time. Do you have anymore cycled media you can add?

As long as there are nitrates you are getting close to cycling. The good bacteria should be doubling about every 24 hours. Just give it time for ammonia to go down. You can then dose ammonia again and see if it drops in 24 hours. If it does, your done. Very close.

Last edited:
Still showing 20ppm nitrates. No other media
I believe Deanasue is right on point. Nitrites may not even show up at this point if the nitrates are consuming them as fast as they multiply. I would not add any more ammonia until it is very close to zero. Once it is at zero, add 2-3ppm and recheck in 24 hrs. If nitrites and ammonia are at zero, you should be ready for fish.

If the tank will be sitting empty for a while, add ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. I would do a large water change 24-48 hours before adding fish to lower the nitrates that have accumulated. Do NOT add any ammonia after the water change. I try to keep nitrates under 20 ppm at all times.

Last edited:
Since you are doing a fishless cycle, I would hold off on the water change. Add the ammonia and check in 24 hrs. The .25 could just be ammonium from your tap. If ammonia drops in 24 hrs youā€™re cycled. Continue to add just enough ammonia to feed bacteria until fish come in. Then do a large w/c to lower nitrates below 20ppm and add your fish. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
The drop in pH suggests you have soft water. Soft water usually goes with low KH. During a fishless cycle, all the acidic nitrite and nitrate uses up the KH and with no buffer left the pH then drops.

If you do have soft water, a large water change would top up the KH and bring the pH back up as well. Once the cycle is finished and you have fish, weekly 50%+ water changes will keep KH topped up.

You said earlier in the thread that you have live plants - how many, and are they fast growing or slow growing? Having a lot of live plants, especially floating plants, means that you can get fish now. If you do have a fair number of plants you can do the big water change and get fish.

Since you are doing a fishless cycle, I would hold off on the water change. Add the ammonia and check in 24 hrs. The .25 could just be ammonium from your tap. If ammonia drops in 24 hrs youā€™re cycled. Continue to add just enough ammonia to feed bacteria until fish come in. Then do a large w/c to lower nitrates below 20ppm and add your fish. Keep us posted.
My fear is that the low ph means a crash which may stall the cycle. Thats why I suggested a water change but you may be right.

I have 5 different plants,Xmas moss and frogbit in the tank. Could I put natural grey roofing slate in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back