Confused By Nitrites Not Dropping Yet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ShamefulCrayon

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm currently cycling my 64L tank, and I think it's going well. The ammonia is now cycling every 24 hours, but I'm confused because the nitrites don't seem to be dropping. Here's my test results so far (been recording every day) -

I should mention now I've been dosing to 4ppm. I was aiming for 3, but I forgot to test the tap water on day one and I've ended up sticking with 4ppm.

28\10 Am 4ppm
29\10 Am 4ppm
30\10 Am ~3ppm
31\10 Am 2ppm, NO2 1ppm
1\11 Am 2ppm
2\11 Am 2ppm, NO2 2ppm
3\11 Am ~1.5, NO2 ~2ppm
4\11 Am ~1.25ppm, NO2 3 or 4ppm
5\11 Am 1ppm, NO2 3 or 4ppm
6\11 Am 0.5ppm, NO3 160ppm+. Dosed tank back to 4ppm ammonia
7\11 Am ~1.5ppm
8\11 Am 0ppm, NO2 5+ppm. Dosed tank back to 4ppm ammonia
9\11 Am 0ppm, NO2 5ppm. Tank dosed to 4ppm ammonia

I've tested at the same time every evening and had the tank lights on during the day. Not sure if I've totally screwed this up, or if I'm worrying too much. Can anyone give any insight to how long the nitrites should be taking to drop? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Charley

Wait. My nitrites took at least a week if I recall, perhaps two, before dropping after my ammonia was falling to near zero in 24 hours. My personal opinion is that you are on track and have nothing to worry about. When the nitrites start to drop, they will drop rapidly, almost as if a switch has been pulled.

Let us assume you are using the API master test kit, if so then the maximum the test will show is 5ppm nitrite but your nitrites might be at 15ppm for all you know and are falling even now but they won't show until it starts to drop below 5ppm, hence the sudden drop.

Be patient and all will come to zero (except nitrates of course).

Wait until your nitrites drop to below 1ppm before adding more ammonia. If you get 4 days of zero ammonia before this happens, add 1ppm ammonia but no more.

Once your nitrites drop to below 1ppm you can test every day, because you'll be nearly complete. But patience is a virtue.

Phew! Thanks for the advice guys. I have the patience, so no problem there. I'm just a bit neurotic where it comes to stuff like this. Lol. I worry all the time, but I'll chill out about it now. Suppose that's the beauty of a fishless cycle - no chance to accidentally kill something!

ShamefulCrayon said:
Phew! Thanks for the advice guys. I have the patience, so no problem there. I'm just a bit neurotic where it comes to stuff like this. Lol. I worry all the time, but I'll chill out about it now. Suppose that's the beauty of a fishless cycle - no chance to accidentally kill something!
Exactly...

A cycle takes 4-8weeks, depending on a lot of factors. Also, testing for nitrate at this stage is a bit of a waste, nitrite will show up as nitrate on a nitrate test.

Wait for nitrite to drop as mentioned above, and add snack doses of ammonia (1ppm) every 4-5 days if nitrite remains high. This will give the nitrite bacs a chance to catch up while keeping the ammonia bacs alive.

You are a couple weeks away still, but are going just fine. :good:

Just to update, I'm now getting readings of 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrites every 72 hours. About to dose the tank again tonight to bring it back up to 4ppm, but I'm a little confused (again!). Some sources say I should be aiming to see 0ppm Am & NO2 within 24 hours, and others say within 12 hours. Which should I be following or can I pick and choose? 12 hours seems more thorough, but is it unnecessary? Is it purely personal preference? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Charley

I used 24 hours but presumably anything less than that is fine. Don't forget that when you add fish you can add all of them at once, not in dribs and drabs like in a fish-in cycle or the colony will drop off. Also when completely cycled remove all the water down to the substrate and replace it with fresh to clear all the nitrates out; leave for twenty four hours to stabilize the temperature then add all your fish.

Thanks Shiny

My plan is to wait until the tank is cycling every 24 hours, then do a 90% water change and add the plants at the same time. Could I then add the fish the next day provided the temperature is correct?

Yes, you should be able to add plants and fish once your temperature is stable. Cycling in 24 hours should also be fine.

Thank you both. I'm ever so excited now! Got my eye on some Habrosus on eBay. :-D

ShamefulCrayon said:
Thanks Shiny

My plan is to wait until the tank is cycling every 24 hours, then do a 90% water change and add the plants at the same time. Could I then add the fish the next day provided the temperature is correct?

Yes.  That is all correct.

If you want the plants to have a chance to really take root, you could add them about a week ahead of the fish, and you won't have a problem with the bacteria colony.  

Most reactions

Back