Concerned over tank weight

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Gemma Andrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

We currently live in a flat on the second floor. The flats were built in 2003.

Last week my husband bought and set up a Fluval Roma 125l tank and cabinet. We filled the tank up on Friday evening. Since Friday I've been googling non-stop as I'm paranoid the tank is too heavy. I've been reading about making sure the tank is sitting on joists. I've no idea whether ours is?
I find myself waking in the night to check it's still OK.

Am I just being silly?
Who here lives in a flat on the second floor and what size tank do you have.

Any reassurance would be gratefully received.

Regards
Gemma

Hi there Gemma :)

Please stop worrying! A modern floor, as long as it's in good shape, can easily hold a tank at least twice that size. I've had a 240l tank in my bedroom for over ten years, with no issues whatsoever.

If you want it to go over joists, you need to look at your floorboards. Your tank needs to run the same way as the floorboards, as floorboards are nailed across the joists. I hope that makes sense; I'll try and explain better if it doesn't!

Hi there Gemma :)

Please stop worrying! A modern floor, as long as it's in good shape, can easily hold a tank at least twice that size. I've had a 240l tank in my bedroom for over ten years, with no issues whatsoever.

If you want it to go over joists, you need to look at your floorboards. Your tank needs to run the same way as the floorboards, as floorboards are nailed across the joists. I hope that makes sense; I'll try and explain better if it doesn't!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You've put my mind at ease.

You're very welcome, it's nice to have a new member with a problem that's so easily sorted ;)

Thank you.
I guess with all my husbands heavy books and the rest of the living room furniture I was starting to panic thinking Iā€™d return home from work to find the flat below flooded.
My past 3 evenings have been spent googling. Itā€™s such a relief to hear that weā€™ll be weā€™ll be ok.
Thank you again.

Hi there - welcome to the forum:hi:

We filled the tank up on Friday evening.

Are you planning on doing a fishless cycle?? Thereā€™s lots of information on here about how to do that. Also, you can ask loads of questions on here!

Hi **sarahp**, thank you for making me feeling welcome.

Yes we will be doing a fishless cycle.
We've been given lots of advice but if we get stuck I know where to come!

If the advice came from a fish shop, please ignore it! Most of them refuse to admit there is such a thing as fishless cycling. And when it comes to getting suitable fish, their advice is often completely wrong for the size tank or type of water. Ask on here first.

This is the best way of fishless cycling http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Or plant the tank with more than just the odd plant or two, wait till you are sure they are not dying, then add fish a few at a time - testing daily for ammonia and nitrite after each addition.

thanks for the advice Essjay.
Iā€™ve read the link you posted

Hubby is in charge of that side of things. Heā€™s kept fish before.
My initial concern was whether the floor would support the weight. Iā€™m a very paranoid person. Lol.
I sat here now looking at the tank thinking and still wondering even though fluttermoth told me to stop worrying.
Im that paranoid Iā€™ve even asked hubby to lower the height of the gravel at the front of the tank as I think itā€™ll make the tank topple.
People will probably laugh at this comment and say Iā€™m being over cautious but I canā€™t help it. Iā€™m a worrier!

Hubby is in charge of that side of things. Heā€™s kept fish before.

Make sure he reads the link as well. Things have changed in the last few years. The method on here was written by a chap who did extensive research, and his method, if followed to the letter, will not make enough nitrite to stall the cycle. Most of the other 'add ammonia every time it drops to zero' methods make so much nitrite it stalls the cycle.

Hi Gemma,

I think weā€™re in the same boat here.
Iā€™ve just asked a similar question and hoping to get some reassurance. My tank isnā€™t set up yet but wanted some advice before I started.
Itā€™s reassuring to read the 1st comment telling you to stop worrying!

Hi, Lee.

Yes, Iā€™ve seen your post. Youā€™ve had better answers than me! My post seems to go off topic a bit.
Reading through your answers, I donā€™t think weā€™ll have any problems. Youā€™ve had some reassuring comments.

Hi again, all.
I hope fellow members donā€™t take this the wrong way as I donā€™t mean any offence.

This thread has had a a view replies but only one of them answered my question.
I was hoping to get the opinions from a few members not just one. Please donā€™t take offence, Iā€™m just a little disappointed that only one person answered my query. I was expecting a few more replies to help ease my mind.
Iā€™m still paranoid and worrying like mad! Still googling to see if I can find other threads on this.
Maybe fish keeping isnā€™t for me.
If I canā€™t make this feeling go away, I may have to ask hubby to sell the tank. Heā€™ll be devastated ā˜¹ļø.

You are worrying about nothing.

If the building is relatively new, and it is, the weight from the aquarium (about 150kg when set up) will be no more than 2 adult human males. So if your hubby and one of his mates can stand where the tank is and the floor doesn't move, the tank will be fine.

If you are unsure where the joists are, you can compensate for this by putting some 1 inch thick plyboard under the stand. You get 2 pieces of 1 inch plyboard that is several inches wider than the tank and about 12 inches across. You put one piece of plyboard under each end of the stand so the plyboard goes on the floor and the stand goes on the plyboard.
eg: your stand is 3ft long x 14 inches wide. You get a sheet of 1 inch thick plyboard and cut 2 pieces that are 18 inches x 12 inches. You put them on the ground at each end of the stand and put the feet of the stand in the middle of the pieces of plyboard. There should be several inches of plyboard sticking out around each end of the stand.

-----------------------
Whilst I haven't lived on a second story floor with wood floors, I have had friends that lived in wood houses with wooden floors and they had 6ft tanks. They used the 1 inch plyboard and had no issues.

Do not worry about it. If you have 3 adults sitting on a couch it will weigh more than your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back