Compatibility Issues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cichlidslover

Reaction score
I currently have 2 convicts and 3 firemouths in a 55 gal. Plenty of rocks and caves. I want to add more fish. I have heard African cichlids would not be good because because of different water requirements. I also would like to have some middle or top swimming fish. Any suggestions? Ed

Mine were all over. I had jewels, convicts, jds, and a oscar in a 55g. The jds ruled the tank

What is your water's pH and hardness?

I would suggest you are at the limit now, and past it in some ways. Not so much for fish mass/volume, but the species themselves.

A jack dempsy gets too large for a 55, you could keep only the JD in a 55 but even then I say it's still too small. I also say you are pretty much limited out.

I would suggest you are at the limit now, and past it in some ways. Not so much for fish mass/volume, but the species themselves.
A jack dempsy gets too large for a 55, you could keep only the JD in a 55 but even then I say it's still too small. I also say you are pretty much limited out.
I am not so much looking for another in the cichlid family, I was more looking for middle to top swimmers. I was thinking along the lines of several Gourami's.

I am not so much looking for another in the cichlid family, I was more looking for middle to top swimmers. I was thinking along the lines of several Gourami's.

No, gourami would be a very bad choice. If you removed the Convicts, you could find suitable dither fish for the Firemouths. Here is what SF says about Convict Cichlids:
Simply put, not a good community fish. Unfortunately it’s often sold as such. Although a great beginners species in many ways, it is best maintained in a species tank. It is an aggressive, territorial species that becomes downright violent when breeding. It will take on fish several times its own size and win with ease. In a very big tank you can keep it in a community of robust Central American cichlids.​

Byron.

Thanks much. I appreciate it very much. I am not really fond of the convicts anyhow. They ARE very territorial, both males and chase after the firemouths. I think I will give them to the LFS. What do you think about another firemouth and the gourami's? I would like to add some color that doesn't hide in caves all day.

Thanks much. I appreciate it very much. I am not really fond of the convicts anyhow. They ARE very territorial, both males and chase after the firemouths. I think I will give them to the LFS. What do you think about another firemouth and the gourami's? I would like to add some color that doesn't hide in caves all day.

You are wise to remove the Convicts, a good decision.:good:

Now to the Firemouths. You have three, do you know the genders? This is a gregarious cichlid, meaning that it prefers to live in loose groups, but obviously that means a larger tank as males will be very territorial when spawning. It might be best not to rock the boat with more Firemouths and work around what you have.

The species is naturally shy, and will be more "out and about" if it knows it has suitable places of refuge. The Convicts would serve to keep it stressed and thus in hiding, so this should improve with their removal.

Gourami are still not a good tankmate, as they are similar to cichlids--males can be very territorial, depending upon species. But we can consider suitable fish. Back a bit you mentioned a hardness of 7, is this 7 dGH? Or some other unit of measure?

Byron.

You are wise to remove the Convicts, a good decision.:good:

Now to the Firemouths. You have three, do you know the genders? This is a gregarious cichlid, meaning that it prefers to live in loose groups, but obviously that means a larger tank as males will be very territorial when spawning. It might be best not to rock the boat with more Firemouths and work around what you have.

The species is naturally shy, and will be more "out and about" if it knows it has suitable places of refuge. The Convicts would serve to keep it stressed and thus in hiding, so this should improve with their removal.

Gourami are still not a good tankmate, as they are similar to cichlids--males can be very territorial, depending upon species. But we can consider suitable fish. Back a bit you mentioned a hardness of 7, is this 7 dGH? Or some other unit of measure?

Byron.
Actually just checked and ph is 7 and hardness is 7.7

Actually just checked and ph is 7 and hardness is 7.7

Fine, but what is the unit of measurement? It could be 7.7 degrees GH, or it could by 7.7 mg/l (milligrams per liter) which is the same as ppm (parts per million), or degrees Clark, or whatever. We need to know the unit in order to know the GH.

The pH is fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back