Compatable Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imat

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I had a small fish tank with an otocinclus catfish and two neon tetras.  We just purchased an already established tank over craigslist for an amazing deal! Problem is, I don't know if the fish are compatable with my fish.  The previous owners could not remember the types of fish so I have researched all day long.  Here is what I have

My little tank:
1 otoclinclus catfish
2 Neon Tetras

Big Tank - 55 gallon
1 upside down cat fish
1 candy cane tetra
1 skirt tetra
1 giant danio
2 Rasboras
1 Chinese Algae Eater

I do NOT plan on keeping my little tank set up.    Any help in this area would be great. 

The CAE is not a suitable community fish. They stop eating algae as they grow up and begin to attack fish to eat the slime coat. All the tetras, the danio, the danios, the otos, and the catfish all need to be in schools, so all of them are not going to work well in this tank. You'll need to decide which ones you like the best and build your schools up that way.

so the Chinese Algae Eater is not compatible the rest are?

would him and the oto catfish have problems?  I have been watching him in the tank. He seems to leave the fish that are in there alone.  But I do want to get some smaller fish later too.  So best to get rid of him? should I be worried about the giant danio?

Keep in mind he said as they grow, so while you may not have issues right now, they will likely come up later.

The oto, neon tetras, candy cane tetra, skirt tetra, giant danio, and rasboras all need groups of 6+ of their own type.
If you were to do this your tank would be over stocked I recommend picking one or two and returning the rest and then bumping their schools up.

The danio is more of a temperate fish than tropical like the rest & can also be very boisterous and stress out other fish.so those are one of the ones I'd choose to remove.  Skirt tetras can be nippy so that may be another.

Do you know what type of upside down catfish you have? There are some that are fine by themselves and others that need groups. If you're not sure you might want to post another thread with a picture of it to get a proper ID.

Ok so I will definitely get rid of the chinese algae eater and the giant danio. I will try to get a picture of the upside down catfish tomorrow and post it. If I get smaller fish would I need to worry about the catfish eating/attacking them?
Does the oto need to be in groups because I have heard both ways.
I was under the assumption that all those tetras would school together. I didnt realize that they would have to have 6 of each kind.
From what I have read, the glow tetras are genetically changed skirt tetras. Does that mean they will be aggressive?
We had planned on getting glowfish and a blue light as well.
So i wrote my origional post wrong. The 2 neon tetras are 2 glowfish tetras... Not neon tetras

It will depend on what upside down cat it is, I think.

Yes, oto need groups just like those other fish. The only reason those tetras will school together mismatched like that is because they need security. If you were to add more of their own kind you'd find they will keep to their own groups.

Yes, the glofish skirts could be nippy just like the regular ones. Usually when kept in proper numbers that behavior shouldn't come up as much but it is still a possibility.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back