Community Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I am with Byron here. That sand constricts plant roots is a myth. Be careful which play sand you chose! Some contain animal deterrents.

To reduce the KH the only meaningful option is to use a reverse osmosis system.

Hey Byron J

You said to be more specific, so Iā€™ll be more specific on a level of knowledge that I think we (other people viewing this thread) can simply understand.

For an example of what Iā€™m talking about I will use blyx japonica, since that is the plant I am currently looking to purchase for another scape I am conductingā€¦

Blyx japonica naturally (and to my experience seeing it) grows in sloping streams, sloping streams is where there is a small stream of water between two small hills, or waves in the earth as I call it myself. Usually this is in a tropical to sub-tropical environment that these plants grow in.

Here is an image of a stream that resembles what I am talking about. The soil Blyxa Japonica grows in is generally rich in iron, and other mixed nutrients. The streams it naturally grows in are slow moving, to medium moving waters. Now as for the soil it grows in, this particular plant I picked out for my example since its common and at the time was on my mind, grows not in a clay like soil, or a sand rich soil, but a soil that is just, regular nice soil. The soil is difficult to explain as it is generally untouched by humans or man, it is porous and allows the roots to get good water flow (so to say) and air flow. Again this is where the water column nutrients also comes into play for the plants health. Usually this dirt is a brownish color (as dirt usually is) mixed with old decomposed leaves that have caught up in the plant adding extra vital nutrients to it to assist the growth of it. Fish is a different story, but it ends up providing vital nutrients as well.

In the home aquarium Blyx Japonica is used in common and difficult to explain aquascapes such as this one

It is a common and mostly easy plant to grow in my own experience, and its fun if you like maintenance. I wonā€™t get into the plant care, and such since this is about the substrate it grows in. The substrate that is most common and most efficient for blyx japonica to grow in, in the home aquascape is as previously stated ADA aquasoil, usually of any kinds. With a layer of powersand as this always helps it jump and thrive. It can grow in sandy soils but it will slow the growth of it, I personally have not done experiments with this particular plant in any way as I just havenā€™t reached this on yet.

I hope this answered some of your questions Byron that you had about this plant and the soils that some plants grow in, just for the record I didnā€™t particularly pick this plant out because it grows in a soil that isnā€™t sand that to me would be an unfair or unjust thing to do if you get me.

Hope the best.

I think youll find this a bit easier to read if my read didnā€™t get the full question(s) answered Byron,

Contraction forces developed by soils as they dry may compress roots and reduce growth. In order to evaluate this effect on growth, plants were placed with their up per roots between two rigidly fixed adjacent plastic tubes that could be inflated against the roots with 0 to 15 bars air pressure. Root and top growth of corn (Zea mays L.), oats (Avena sativa L.), and western wheatgrass (Agropyron smithii Rydb.) decreased gradually as a constricting force on the upper part of the roots was increased from about 4 to 15 bars. At pressures lower than about 4 bars, growth was larger than growth of the plants in loose sand, which applies little if any constricting force on roots. When wet puddled soil was dried around the upper roots of corn or oat seedlings, growth was decreased in some experiments and increased in others possibly because the pressure was larger or smaller, respectively, than 4 bars. The effect that drying of poor soil structure has on compressing roots and reducing plant growth needs to be investigated.

This was written by a good friend of mine, that being Everett M. White

@Logic
I think you are mixing two things here: substrate and fertilization. As sand contains no artificial fertilizer in contrast to soil, plants will naturally grow slower in pure sand. If you add equal amounts of fertilizer there will be not much difference. Also sand is the better long term option, as soil will be exhausted after some time and needs to be replaced.

The article you cite here is talking about terrestrial plants. Totally different matter and not comparable.

I must disagree with you as sand is sand, I think those are the same things hobby5 but your opinion is your opinion. I wasnā€™t talking about fertilizers that is manmade, I said natural numerous times I do think?

Plants that grow emersed are no different than submerged other than the fact that they have access to unlimited carbon dioxide.

I find dutchā€™s fish suggestions the best so far, he is right with the two schooling fish as they could create a beautiful large school. You seem as if your going for the more normal non hobbyist approach to getting fish that in the moment and on camera look ā€œcoolā€ but in reality (depending on the person) they arenā€™t really. Killiā€™s (as stated) come in many varietys and get quite large and are Not 2.5ā€ max length. I used work at a LFS who breed and sold killiā€™s (well the owner did as his personal hobby) and those guys, biggest one I saw I would say was about 6ā€ or so. Big guys to. Beautiful fish especially when flaring!
That's not close to what I'm getting at. What I'm looking for are fish with interesting behaviour patterns and that are easy to take care of. I am a beginner after all and I'd prefer to have fish that are "more hardy". I do plan on expanding on the hobby in the future but I want to start with "easier" fish.

@Logic
You were recommending ADA aquasoil Amazonia...
Did you even read what you linked? They talked about "Contraction forces developed by soils as they dry ..." Substrate in a tank will never dry ;)

*if you drystart * But I guess u didnā€™t get anything from anything else I typed, I specifically said these were not facts but yet my experienceā€™s

Jordan; neons and cpdā€™s are good fish for a new comer to the hobby, calm. Killiā€™s are more intermediate.

Hi I have one more question, hope someone will see it, if not I'll make another post. Today I want to a lfs to take a look at prices, fish and some things I need. While there I saw an upside down catfish and fell in love. Is it possible to switch out a bristlenose pleco with the upside down catfish? Will it survive in my tank? A reminder the stocking plan is:
10 cherry barbs
10 zebra danios
2 bristlenose
8-10 Cory cats

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Hi I have one more question, hope someone will see it, if not I'll make another post. Today I want to a lfs to take a look at prices, fish and some things I need. While there I saw an upside down catfish and fell in love. Is it possible to switch out a bristlenose pleco with the upside down catfish? Will it survive in my tank? A reminder the stocking plan is:
10 cherry barbs
10 zebra danios
2 bristlenose
8-10 Cory cats

Before I get to your question...sorry about all the sidetracks and nonsense over sand, etc with Logic and his former self DutchMuch. He has been banned, again. We move on.

Upsidedown Catfish, Synodontis nigriventris, is a shoaling species, so you must have a small group. Groups can be smaller than the "standard" for many species, maybe 3-5. Where did we get to with GH...last I can see is 8 dGH? That's OK for this fish. One thing though, they must have broad surfaces to rest under. Plant leaves (large plants like swords) and chunks of wood that are above the substrate so they can get in under crevices and such work very well.

Edit. I see hobby5 posted while I was typing...I think we've said much the same thing differently.

Byron.

Yeah I heard about Dutch and Logic.

I read about the upside down catfish and turns out it might not get along with the cherry barbs. I was also thinking that even if I replaced the Cherry Barbs with this catfish I might have an overcrowding issue in the sense that I'll have way to many bottom feeders and no room for them. I believe I'll stick with the original stocking plan. If I find any other fish that interest me I'll post here.
Thanks to the both of you for all the help!

I thought of another idea... I thought an amazon biotope would be nice for a few reasons.
1. I can safely have a larger quantity of each species of fish without worrying about overcrowding the tank. This ensures the fish stay happy and I stay happy lol.
2. Attempting to replicate a natural habitat in my home sounds pretty awesome.

I was wondering if the stocking list I've added to this post is something a beginner can handle, and if the stocking list looks somewhat viable.
upload_2017-5-16_11-49-22.png

I also have a few question about plants and the such in a biotope, should I post those on this thread or start a new thread?

Thanks!

Are you planing to breed the Plecos? If not I would suggest you get 2 females. 1 albino and 1 red long fin would look nice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back