Community Fish

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I am starting up a 60 gallon tank. After it's cycled and ready for fish I plan on introducing fish (obviously lol). I've already decided to get a pleco (childhood dream of mine). I was wondering what fish get along with this fish and with each other. The tank will be lightly planted. As for my water conditions, seeing as I haven't gotten my hands on test kits yet I cannot be exact but I do know that the water where I live has lots of Ca+ in it. So it's hard water, this makes me assume that the PH is somewhere between 6.5-7.5. Any advice would be appreciated.

The best sort of fish to go with are the likes of most tetras, guppies, platy, that sort of thing. When you're in a fish shop look for the community fish or livebearers. I would recommend not to add your plec to your tank until it's at least 2-3 months old. Not only so the water is mature but so that there is some natural food in there for it to eat. I.e. Algae. I would also stick to a small plec like a Bristlenose as they only get to about 3-4 inches. Most common plecs grow much much bigger and I found that they become lazy in their old age. Where as BN's stay very active and will eat most algae in the tank as long as they don't get fed too often on plec tablets. I hope this helped.

What kind of pleco are we talking about? I do not recommend the average common pleco as they will out grow even a 100gal tank.

The majority of commuity fish will get along with a pleco. Tetras, gouramis, angels, barbs and even some American and African cichlids do fine with them. Provided the species of fish you choose match the water parameters of the pleco you should be alright.

I concur with the above posts, but we do need to pin down your parameters for your source (tap) water. GH (general hardness) and pH are the two most important, but KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) is worth knowing too. These you may be able to track down from your municipal water authority, check their website. Some fish have quite specific needs when it comes to parameters, while others are somewhat more adaptable.

I suppose a betta would do well too. Id never had a betta kill a single fish without it being sick, once bettas learn that they cannot catch healthy fish, they give up. Even males..however I keep females, so I'd recommend a sorority maybe,
just some thoughts

Thank you all for the replies, yes I do need to find out my GH and PH. Currently waiting on the test kits to arrive.

I suppose a betta would do well too. Id never had a betta kill a single fish without it being sick, once bettas learn that they cannot catch healthy fish, they give up. Even males..however I keep females, so I'd recommend a sorority maybe,
just some thoughts

Male Betta are not community fish. They certainly should never be combined with small fish like tetras, guppies, etc. It works both ways. Small fish are more likely to finnip the Betta, and the Betta may well take a dislike to smaller fish, especially colourful ones. I had a Betta eat a neon as I watched many years ago. Betta deserve their own space, it is not humane to the fish otherwise.

Thank you all for the replies, yes I do need to find out my GH and PH. Currently waiting on the test kits to arrive.

Check with your municipal water authority, they may have a website with water data posted. The GH, KH and pH might be given, and this is all we need to know now.

Check with your municipal water authority, they may have a website with water data posted. The GH, KH and pH might be given, and this is all we need to know now.
I honestly cannot find it anywhere, I only found one source that says the tap water PH is between 7-8 which I find very unlikely because as I said earlier there is a lot of calcium in the water. I'm going to have to wait until I get a test kit.

I honestly cannot find it anywhere, I only found one source that says the tap water PH is between 7-8 which I find very unlikely because as I said earlier there is a lot of calcium in the water. I'm going to have to wait until I get a test kit.

If you would like to post the link, I can take a look; sometimes this data can be well "hidden," but we can ferret it out if it is. Test kits are not inexpensive, and you may only use it the once. You could of course also call them directly. It is always safer and more responsible to pin these numbers down, as some fish have quite specific requirements and we do want your fish to be healthy and happy.:fish:

Byron.

If you would like to post the link, I can take a look; sometimes this data can be well "hidden," but we can ferret it out if it is. Test kits are not inexpensive, and you may only use it the once. You could of course also call them directly. It is always safer and more responsible to pin these numbers down, as some fish have quite specific requirements and we do want your fish to be healthy and happy.:fish:

Byron.
I'll be giving them a call as soon as possible. I'll update you all on Sunday.

*Update* my water parameters are:
Kh 20d
Gh 4-8d
PH 7.2-7.6

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

*Update* my water parameters are:
Kh 20d
Gh 4-8d
PH 7.2-7.6

This shows why I always insist on numbers. A GH of 4 to 8 dGH is not hard water, it is soft (the 4 dGH) to moderately hard (if 8 dGH). This is not hard enough for livebearers (or rift lake cichlids someone mentioned earlier), but will suit many of the "common" species very well.

The high KH of 20 dKH is something that will affect the pH, serving to buffer it and prevent fluctuations, so the pH in the aquarium will stay close to the tap water. But it is not too high (you would prefer it higher for livebearers again) so you are OK there. All told, pretty good water with respect to parameters.

So, to your initial question on the pleco and tankmates. As someone mentioned, make sure the pleco you acquire is not a "common" that gets way too big, but one of the smaller species that will remain 4-5 inches. Like a Bristlenose for example. As for tankmates, there are so many I don't want to suggest them. Have a look around and see what you might like, then ask us. Always, always research a species before you acquire it; some have more specific water requirements, or habitat needs (the aquascape has to provide these, like at least one if not more chunks of real aquarium wood for the plecostomus is essential), or numbers of the species if they are shoaling fish, or behaviour issues...there is a lot to combining species and having a healthy thriving aquarium. I prefer to advise on species rather than suggest some, at least until you get started.

Byron.

This shows why I always insist on numbers. A GH of 4 to 8 dGH is not hard water, it is soft (the 4 dGH) to moderately hard (if 8 dGH). This is not hard enough for livebearers (or rift lake cichlids someone mentioned earlier), but will suit many of the "common" species very well.

The high KH of 20 dKH is something that will affect the pH, serving to buffer it and prevent fluctuations, so the pH in the aquarium will stay close to the tap water. But it is not too high (you would prefer it higher for livebearers again) so you are OK there. All told, pretty good water with respect to parameters.

So, to your initial question on the pleco and tankmates. As someone mentioned, make sure the pleco you acquire is not a "common" that gets way too big, but one of the smaller species that will remain 4-5 inches. Like a Bristlenose for example. As for tankmates, there are so many I don't want to suggest them. Have a look around and see what you might like, then ask us. Always, always research a species before you acquire it; some have more specific water requirements, or habitat needs (the aquascape has to provide these, like at least one if not more chunks of real aquarium wood for the plecostomus is essential), or numbers of the species if they are shoaling fish, or behaviour issues...there is a lot to combining species and having a healthy thriving aquarium. I prefer to advise on species rather than suggest some, at least until you get started.

Byron.

I've been building a list of fish that interest me. Once I narrow them down by water parameters, tank location, feeding habbits and more. I'll make a list of what I want with the amounts as well and then post it here.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back