Communal Care Home Fishtank Problems

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KentCareWorker

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and really need some advice. Algae is only one problem I am currently working on so I'll go over all of the other problems in this post and if that's wrong I'll seek out the correct place to post about the other problems separately.

So here's some background info, I'm a guy working in a care home and looking after the fish tank. I have been trying to take care of the tank for 5 years and battling several problems including algae. The tank itself is a jewel rio 180 with a large external filter (I don't remember the name) and air pump with bubble wall and two air bricks attached. The light is on a timer (on at 0900 and off at 1700) and the fish are on a feeding rota, managed by staff, to be fed once a day. The occupants are 1 large plecko (not sure about the spelling) a large collection of male and female sword-tails, a snail eating fish (not sure which and there were two to begin with) and a moderate population of snails.

There has been a problem with algae for quite some time and people at work have suggested lots of different things but nothing, so far, has been the right thing.

Some have said they're fed too much but others say not enough. Some have said the light is on too long. Some say the filter needs cleaning more often (due to the nature of my job I am only afforded time to clean it and do a partial water change one every two weeks). There is a guy from the local aquatics shop who comes in every three months to give it an overhaul. And somebody suggested dip testing the water (I couldn't get authorisation to buy the testing strips so that's out).

I don't know what to do and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

KCW

Most reactions

trending

Back