Colour-Changing Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chickennuggets123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, yesterday I bought a BLUE shrimp... woke up this morning to find I had a RED/PINK one. And after getting back this afternoon after being out all day, i noticed... he was BLUE again
w00t.gif

(He was blue because in the pet shop- the tank was dark, with dark gravel
He turned pink because all my gravel is pink.
And he tuned blue again, because he'd hidden under the wood in the tank where it was dark.)

I found out they colour change to match their environment!
So, I bought another shrimp today...so the first one isnt lonely.

If i put any colour gravel into the tank, would they change to that colour after a while?
If the gravel was... say... green and orange... would it turn a greeny-orange colour?
And, because Im new to keeping shrimps, could I have as much info on them please, too!

Hey everyone!

So, yesterday I bought a BLUE shrimp... woke up this morning to find I had a RED/PINK one. And after getting back this afternoon after being out all day, i noticed... he was BLUE again
w00t.gif

(He was blue because in the pet shop- the tank was dark, with dark gravel
He turned pink because all my gravel is pink.
And he tuned blue again, because he'd hidden under the wood in the tank where it was dark.)

I found out they colour change to match their environment!
So, I bought another shrimp today...so the first one isnt lonely.

If i put any colour gravel into the tank, would they change to that colour after a while?
If the gravel was... say... green and orange... would it turn a greeny-orange colour?
And, because Im new to keeping shrimps, could I have as much info on them please, too!

Did you buy a bamboo shrimp? They change colour depending on surroundings and mood. Mine will turn dark brown on driftwood, black on my black thermometer, light mottled brown on the gravel...but, they have also turned slightly blue, orange or bright red and I don't have anything in the tank that colour. My amano shrimp have also turned from blue to brown to almost black(especially the females carrying eggs).

As far as info on taking care of them, generally speaking, they require 0 ammonia and nitrite at all times so make sure you do weekly water changes. It would be very important to know what type of shrimp you have, then I can be more specific on it's requirements.

When my shrimp are moulting they darken up slightly..

else, dead shrimp tend to look a bit more pink than alive shrimp no matter what the breed (and before cooking!)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back