color mixing when breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TravisM

Reaction score
I'm new to the hobby, I had bought 1 blue opaline and 1 gold opaline. turns out 1 was male the other female and they kept breeding , so I went with it and tried raising the fry, I now have over 20, 1 inch long young but they are golden brown and striped, with blue and gold lining their tales, does anyone know about this, will they color out more, or is brown the results of mixing the colors

The gold and blue gourami are actually the same species, Trichopodus trichopterus, which is why they spawned. There are several colour varieties to this species: blue, gold, opaline, cosby, 3-spot, marble, and probably some others. All of these are man-made, having been selectively bred for the aquarium trade (this is not "bad" in this case, just so you know) from the wild blue 3-spot fish.

I do not know what colour variant may occur from breeding the different varieties. Males of this species are often fairlyt aggressive; they establish a territory, and other males may be attacked and killed. Females are sometimes pretty feisty too. You will need to have space (other tanks) to separate these before long.

Byron.

Young fish will only continue to mature and show better coloration. Just like young bettas or cichlids they still need to grow into their colors. You should post pics as they grow, I (and others) love seeing young fish mature and color up :D

ya Byron, unfortunately the male was aggressive until the female out grow him, and I think something happened at night bc I woke up and the male was all pale, somehow his swim bladder was damaged, he held on for a while but I eventually had to put him down

and Demeter, sure I'll post some pics (just have to clean up the tank first, all the snow glared sunlight thru the window, today's rain finally finished off the snow tho) I'm just surprised how long it's taking them to color out they're over half as long as their mother

GOPR3800_1486362600671_high.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back