Cold Water Pleco/snails - Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am getting some allege in my cold water koi tank, i was wondering if there are any allege eating pleco type fish that could be in at tank that stays around 68-70*F-ish or snails that wont escape (openings in the top) I would really like to NOT get snails, but i need something to eat up this allege!

I think you're meaning algae? There are pond snails that should be available in the US. Try searching "Cold water snail" on Google, and see what you find.

I've kept common plecos in cold water tanks before and had success.

i know you said you'd rather not get them but apple snails would be good for the job :)

Nerite snails are very popular algae eaters, though I'm not sure on their temperature requirements. They're also escape artists.

You may want to get down to why you're having algae though, there is likely a reason that you can fix, such as shortening the lighting period.
If you can give more information on your set up I'm sure someone with more experience could figure out why you're getting algae. Can you get a picture of it btw?

How big is the tank, OP and what are the water parameters? Is the algae green or brown?

Rubber lip plecos are colder water pleco species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back