Cold Water Algae Eaters??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nik

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Have 1 cold water tank which since the arrival of our weak summer has started to cultivate some brown algae. :angry:

What type of algae eaters can you get for a cold water tank set up?? -_-

The tank already holds:

2 standard goldfish
2 black moors
2 fan tails
1 weather loach

In some shops I have seen standard Plecs cleaning cold or temperate tanks. I may gamble and try one as I have a few in my tropical tanks.

Just thought I'd check if there were any special algae eaters for a cold water set up.

I'll let you know what happens :/ :/

Alternately back to scrubbing :crazy:

I am not 100% sure but I think most plecos want temps at least in the mid 20s C (upper 70s F). You would also need to make sure that whichever pleco you choose is an algae eater.

Some species of Ancistrus can cope with temps down to 15°C (59°F).

Chinese Algae Eater can apparently cope in cold water according to one site, but another says they stop eating if the temp drops too much. However, they do stop eating algae when they get to adulthood and they find the slime coat of other fish quite tasty. Not really to be recommended.

Probably the best bet would be a snail - make sure it is one that can thrive at lower temps and that it is not one of the types that will reproduce on it's own and infest the tank. I can't suggest a type as I don't know a lot about snails.

HTH, Eddie

Golden Loaches or butterfly plecos. But buy the ones that are already in the coldwater tanks with goldfish.

Eddie & DG

Thanks for the tips. I shall visit my LFS's and see if I can find some of these recommendations.

Good bye scrubbing pads! :lol:

no plecs dont do well in cold water none of the alge eaters ive seen are good in cold water. i would suggest a cold water snail. even snails can die in cold water be shure what your getting is suitable for cold water how cold is the water? is it sub tropical lik 15-20 degrees or is it cold like 8?

I have the "coldwater" tank running at 18oc.

Was told that some of the fancy goldfish prefer a temperate environment. All seem to be doing well with good growth rates. I guess the temperature may also aid algae growth.

Those buttryfly plecs were specifically sold for goldfish tanks.
But i've seen a thread somewhere in think in the general fish page that they are actually some type of loach.

I'll start with the Butterlfy Plec then and see what happens. There's always room elsewhere for the plec if he doesn't get on.

Cheers DG.

Hey Nik,

Did you get one? If so how did it go cos my m8's got a goldfish tank and i'm gonna tell him to get a pair as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back