co2 options

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ex-28

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Its many years since I used CO2 but I found the pressurised cannisters much better as the supply was constant and you didn't have to muck about with the homebrew kit every few weeks. I don't remember exactly but I think a cartridge lasted well over a year in my 350 litre so once the system was up and running costs were negligible.

I used to run a 90 litre tank with a very similar co2 system as the Fluval one you linked.

It does work but honestly found it a chore to keep switching on and off the manual regulator and ensuring it was at the correct bps etc etc

The little canisters do not last all that long either, dependant on how much bps you plan to do, at a stretch it may last up to 6 months if used sparingly but more likely to be 2 - 3, maybe 4 months before needing to replace the cannisters, not that expensive but a bit of a faff to change the canisters at these short intervals.

I’d thoroughly recommend getting a 2kg or a 5kg fire extinguisher set up with a electronic solenoid regulator, makes life sooo much easier and actually more reliable tbh.

I had a 2kg fe set up with dual gauge solenoid regular with a glass bubble counter fitted on the regulator itself, diffusers were kinda hit or miss, you do get what you pay for and I got cheap diffusers so if I was to set up again I would get a better brand or a atomiser or inline one to attach to external cannister filter.

As to answer your query, many folks have had success with home brew/yeast method but you have to know what you are doing to get the desired results really, I have never personally tried this method. But the system you show, looks different and I do not know how that works really so can’t really comment on that one.

Out of the two options I’d go for the cannister one as it’s more reliable and easier to set up but a good little starter into co2 to learn exactly how it works etc THEN go for a 2kg FE Co2 set up once you have a good idea of what to expect and what to do.

Last edited:
The little canisters do not last all that long either, dependant on how much bps you plan to do, at a stretch it may last up to 6 months if used sparingly but more likely to be 2 - 3, maybe 4 months before needing to replace the cannisters, not that expensive but a bit of a faff to change the canisters at these short intervals.
Good points. My comment was around pressurised vs yeast rather than that specific kit. Also agree on the solenoids. You really want to just "set it and forget it".

Pressurised is superior to homebrew, although I have a friend who drinks the product of his homebrew system and would probably disagree. Pressurised is also easier to control with needle valves, although it is also capable of dumping far more CO2 at once if you get things wrong.

Homebrew is cheaper to set up though, hence it's popularity.

The kit systems, as Charlie says, tend to run expensive in the long run, as the small cylinders don't last long, unless the tank is tiny.

Fire extinguisher or paintball tank systems have the advantage of being refillable, which makes the CO2 far cheaper to buy. They do take up more space though, which can be an issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back