Co2 How Long ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wrighty.uk.gorl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all just a quick question !

I have purchased a basic co2 system to give it a try befor spending big money on one.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mdog.html

Befor i started to use this i put a co2 level indicator into my tank to find how much co2 i had in there and is went to insufficent right away. Now i been running this kit now for 24 hours following it to the letter and the co2 indicator still saying the same thing.

The real question is here how long will it take befor i should see it saying optimum sufficient etc.

Wrong link I think...

This CO2 level indicator you put into the tank.... did you fill it with tank water as well as the reagent?

The instructions say to use tank water but this is scientifically flawed. Follow this guide.

When pressuized CO2 systems are being used, we reccomend that the CO2 comes on 2hours before the lights come on. With DIY CO2, you are unlikley to overdose.

Wrong link I think...

This CO2 level indicator you put into the tank.... did you fill it with tank water as well as the reagent?

The instructions say to use tank water but this is scientifically flawed. Follow this guide.

When pressuized CO2 systems are being used, we reccomend that the CO2 comes on 2hours before the lights come on. With DIY CO2, you are unlikley to overdose.

PMSL sorry about that link was also finding things for me kiddies to do :)
try this one TMC co2

Any how been reading the link you game me and all makes perfect sence.

Still not sure though how long it ment to be befor i start to see the co2 rise in the tank though.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, those kits really arent that great. You'd have better results with dosing liquid carbon (easycarbo).
How large is the tank. Depending on the size, you might not see any effect with this tmc kit.

Well, those kits really arent that great. You'd have better results with dosing liquid carbon (easycarbo).
How large is the tank. Depending on the size, you might not see any effect with this tmc kit.

170L recon there only about 150l of water in there though.

Ah, you've got no chance then. It's far too large.
Those kits would only "work" on small tanks up to 8gallons or so (despite what instructions say).

So, do you need CO2/carbon addition?
What lighting do you have over the tank? Would you say it was low, medium or highly planted?

Ah, you've got no chance then. It's far too large.
Those kits would only "work" on small tanks up to 8gallons or so (despite what instructions say).

So, do you need CO2/carbon addition?
What lighting do you have over the tank? Would you say it was low, medium or highly planted?

It it low there is no doubt about that. i have 1 40watt T8. I have never bothered with co2 as always read you can dont need it on a low light tank. But after 8 months all me plants are looking a little worst for ware. So thought would give co2 a crack and see if it make a difference,

As i do give fertz every week with out fail

Yes, you shouldnt need CO2 with only 40W of t8 over 170litres or so.
And if the planting is low, then your fish should definetly be able to provide the N+P.
Instead of dosing weekly. Dose twice a week. So, once on Sunday after a water change of 10%, and then dose again on Wednesday.
If the bottle only states the weekly dose, then divide this dose by 7. With the result you get, dose half of it on sunday, and half on wednesday.
See how things go from there. Growth will be slow, but you shouldnt see any dieing plants.
You're sure your plants are all aquatic?

Yes, you shouldnt need CO2 with only 40W of t8 over 170litres or so.
And if the planting is low, then your fish should definetly be able to provide the N+P.
Instead of dosing weekly. Dose twice a week. So, once on Sunday after a water change of 10%, and then dose again on Wednesday.
If the bottle only states the weekly dose, then divide this dose by 7. With the result you get, dose half of it on sunday, and half on wednesday.
See how things go from there. Growth will be slow, but you shouldnt see any dieing plants.
You're sure your plants are all aquatic?

I am 100% sure the plants are aquatic yes.
The plants are not dieing as such. They just look very ill there is nice growth at the top off the plant. the bottem om the plant just look dead but it isint If that make sence. :)

Will give the twice a week on the fertz a go though and see what happen cheers.
As i have purchased the co2 kit. It wont harm in using it all up will it ? Seem a waist otherwise

RadaR is right...

I have always wondered how these work, do you manually press the c02 into a chamber somewhere? I'm sure if so, you'll be creating unstable c02 with this method. As you'll be dosing at different times and some days may not get dosed at all, say if you're out. This would result in unstable c02. Algae will take advantage of this situation. Also low levels can be as bad, as algae will thrive in this environment also.

RadaR is right...

I have always wondered how these work, do you manually press the c02 into a chamber somewhere? I'm sure if so, you'll be creating unstable c02 with this method. As you'll be dosing at different times and some days may not get dosed at all, say if you're out. This would result in unstable c02. Algae will take advantage of this situation. Also low levels can be as bad, as algae will thrive in this environment also.

You do yes and there is always cp2 in the chamber up untill about 8 at night when it have filled back with water then i fill it back up at 10 and let it all run agian.

I had a feelign you was going to say that about the algae though.

does it let out dosed doses then or do you just press it until you feel its full? if you get me lol

does it let out dosed doses then or do you just press it until you feel its full? if you get me lol

Right load the co2 link up. that see through plastic thing you get. You put that in the tank then fill it with co2. With the air line. on that air line there is a one way valve. so nothing can get back out. The co2 in then stuck in that plastic thing. Then as the co2 is absorbed into the water the water then slowly rise up that plastic thing untill it is then full off water and all the co2 have gone. Hope that make sence lol. Explaining things not my strong poing

then if you're manually filling it i can see it leading to being unstable. As RadaR states above though, you shouldn't really need c02 in there.

That's a good explanation wrighty.
But yes, ianho, you can see why this "method" is a bit useless. Tetra were the first I think, with there "Optimat"

Wrighty, feel free to use it until it runs out. The unstability wont be very large (the kit's barely doing anything) so you shouldnt run into problems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back