Clump/mold on Betta tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gilbert

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first fish and I am having a hard time identifying what's going on with its tail.

When I first got him I kept him in a fish bowl and pretty much did everything wrong.

He was looking a bit rough a couple weeks ago so I did some research and got him a bigger (3.5 gallon) filtered tank and a heater, treated the water with Prime+ and doing 25% water changes daily. He has his color back, eating and is very active.

But he has this moldy clump on his tail and it shines gold in the light. He's not scratching against anything or acting weird and hoping for some advice or thoughts if it should be treated.

The problem area is the bottom of the back fin

20180609_132448.jpg

20180610_123646.jpg

Hello Gilbert! I am very sorry that you are experiencing problems with your Betta fish right now. With what can see I believe that would be fin/tail rot. You can buy treatments for that at Walmart or a local fish store. If you have any more problems, just post again!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't see anything on the pictures. Can you post another pic showing the tail only?

You could try lifting the fish out of the water and carefully use a tissue (without anything on it) to gently wipe the growth and see if it moves or comes off. It might be a bit of fungus or something else. If it doesn't come off you could try applying a drop of broad spectrum medication to the site 2 times a day and see if it helps. You lift the fish out of the tank and put a drop of medication on the tail. Wait 20 seconds then put the fish back in the tank.

Hi

Before you do anything or buy some nonsense product ,Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

With what can see I believe that would be fin/tail rot. You can buy treatments for that at Walmart or a local fish store.

For fin rot the only thing you need is lots of clean treated water you dont need mumbo jumbo stuff, at worst a little salt is all you need. Kosher salt is fine.

Oh yeah... Thanks NickAu, I was sooo tired last night from my very bad allergies. Water changes and a little salt is what i uses with my first betta to treat his fin rot! Sorry for thw mis information Gilbert! Hooe your betta gets better soon!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't see anything on the pictures. Can you post another pic showing the tail only?

You could try lifting the fish out of the water and carefully use a tissue (without anything on it) to gently wipe the growth and see if it moves or comes off. It might be a bit of fungus or something else. If it doesn't come off you could try applying a drop of broad spectrum medication to the site 2 times a day and see if it helps. You lift the fish out of the tank and put a drop of medication on the tail. Wait 20 seconds then put the fish back in the tank.

Thank you for the reply, he follows me around the room like a stalker until I pull out a camera and suddenly he's shy. This is what I have managed.

20180614_185615.jpg

[
20180614_185640.jpg

20180614_185645.jpg

How big is the tank? 3.5 Gallon
Has it got a heater? What is it set to? Yes, it is not adjustable but the the temp stats more or less around 78
Has it got a filter? yes
How strong is the current? Seems fine, He likes to swim through it
Is it cycled? Probably not, I did attempt but I have no idea what I'm doing
How often do you change water? Currently daily
How much water do you change? 25-50%
Do you vacuum the substrate? yes
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator? Prime+
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand. tap water
Do you have a water test kit? No
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do. I've had the tank for 2 weeks, No full clean yet
What do you feed him? how much? how often? 1-2 times a day 2-3 pellets and the occasional Bloodworm
Any tank mates? What sort how many? no
How long have you had the Betta? 7 months
Has he got a history of illness?

I'm pretty ignorant about fish, my girlfriend got me him in December and he's been in a fish bowl, unheated, unfiltered getting weekly water changes with plain tap water. About 2 weeks got he was looking pretty sick so I got his this tank, heater, filter and the water treatment and now he looks 100% better just that the clumpy mold thing that won't go away.

Any plants or decorations? Please give details? A big Cave and plastic Plant
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

The next step is to get all the water testing stuff, unfortunately it will have to wait till next week.

Here is is tank

20180614_191830.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah... Thanks NickAu, I was sooo tired last night from my very bad allergies. Water changes and a little salt is what i uses with my first betta to treat his fin rot! Sorry for thw mis information Gilbert! Hooe your betta gets better soon!

I do believe he had/getting over fin rot when I first transferred his over to this tank. His fins were shriveled and floppy but he seems to be recovering from that after the water changes and better conditions.

I read that could also explain the white tips as this is regrowth?

I believe that the white tips are due to fin regrowth but are the fin clearish or colored in? Because new fin stays clear for about a month

oh that's cool :)
it's either fungal or protozoan but probably fungal. I would use a broad spectrum medication containing Malachite Green and Methylene blue and apply it directly to the affected area 2 times a day. See how he goes after a few days. Just lift the fish out gently in a net. Hold the net over a paper towel and then apply a drop or two of medication to the affected area. Wait 20 seconds then put the fish back in the tank.
Alternatively treat the tank but most medications wipe out the beneficial filter bacteria and Methylene Blue will stain silicon blue. Silicon is the glue that holds the glass together.

I believe that the white tips are due to fin regrowth but are the fin clearish or colored in? Because new fin stays clear for about a month

The tips are clearish, I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

oh that's cool :)
it's either fungal or protozoan but probably fungal. I would use a broad spectrum medication containing Malachite Green and Methylene blue and apply it directly to the affected area 2 times a day. See how he goes after a few days. Just lift the fish out gently in a net. Hold the net over a paper towel and then apply a drop or two of medication to the affected area. Wait 20 seconds then put the fish back in the tank.
Alternatively treat the tank but most medications wipe out the beneficial filter bacteria and Methylene Blue will stain silicon blue. Silicon is the glue that holds the glass together.

Thanks Colin, I will give that a try this weekend.

Most reactions

trending

Back