Clown Loaches Beneath Undergravel Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aaronus

Reaction score
A 3-inch clown loach and a 1.5 inch clown loach disappeared from my 29 gallon aquarium. The big one has been gone for a few months, the little one for two days (it's new). No dead body in or out of the tank...but...today I found them underneath the undergravel filter plastic, at the uttermost bottom of the tank, alive and swimming around. The large one moves around on its side because it doesn't fit otherwise. One of the plastic pieces you can knock out to install an air column is open, and that's how the little fish got down there...digging and then found the hole. I don't know how the big one got down there...same way?

I can see the underside of the tank because my tank stand is built around the edge of the tank, and is open in the middle, so I stick my head under with a flashlight and look up.

How do I get them out while disturbing the rest of the aquarium as little as possible? Any brilliant ideas?

Well, the reason they probably got stuck is what sticks out.
Clown loaches need to be in groups of +6, and in tanks at least +6ft long. That's a minimum of a 75g.
They were probably very shy and wanted to hide somewhere very desperatley.
Also, clown loaches require sand. They have sensitive skin and whiskers which pebbles damage, and without sand they cannot properly feed.

As for resucing them, scoop out gravel and put it in a bucket until they are free. No other way really. Then add the gravel again.
And then start looking for a bigger tank.

try coaxing them out with some prawns and/or garlic.If other fish are in the tank put it in a nylon stocking the smell alone will draw them out if they can move as you say.

Clowns don't need sand gravel is fine, they feed by picking up the gravel and spitting it out the way.
Although I agree they prefer a large group its not going to fetch them out by being told this.
Once they are out block up the hole and provide them with another cave to hide in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back