Clown Loach Pale, Stressed After Water Change

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tttnjfttt

I have a point, just don't ask me what it is
Reaction score
my own little world, which is currently in Norther
I just did a major tank cleaning job, where i tore apart all my caves, removed all the decorations, etc. I know i removed too much water (between 35-40%) but have only added back half of it to minimize stress, and plan to finish addign the rest in about an hr or two. I added enough prime dechlorinator to treat the tank, and when I saw the stress begin, I added more in to be sure. The clown loach is becoming pale, lethargic, and has clamped his fins. All the other fish are acting normally. I haven't put back the caves and other decorations yet, and was hesitant tobecause i want to be able to keep an eye on this little guy.Hopefully this will be an easy question, where the answer is the fish is stressed because i took out his hiding places, but i'm not so sure.

I did just check my pH, and it is up to 8. Last check was around 7.5 Could this be causing it?

any recomendations?

Put his caves in yes it can stress them, bit worried about the ph swing as yes that could be causing it, as that's quite a big swing.

Do you have an airstone.

Unfortunately i don't. My mom stole the air stone when her air pump broke for her betta tank. I've got the filter on high which is definately stiring up the water. He is now going back and forth between active and dark then he quickly pales out again. I put in one cave, and and now that the shark has gone elsewhere, he is in it. I'll go build a few more out of rocks, but i don't want all my rock caves back right now to keep an eye on him

The pH change was unfortunately unavoidable, and also why i am filling the tank in stages. my water is soft and has a very low KH. It comes out of the tap off the charts high (like 9 +++) but then after about a week is down to 7.4-7.6 Also why i try to do small changes, but it was just so filthy this time i couldn't resist vacuming up more and more gunk.

I will be waiting before filling up the last part of the tank, to keep the pH from changing any more.

Just keep a close eye on him, he could also be stressed to the fact that you are messing about in the tank, i find once you have fish for a while they tend to get used to you, but he's a newcomer to the tank and he dosn't no whats going off.

Bless him, just turn tanks light off while he calms down.

Update: His color has perked up, and hie is becomming more active, though still a little sluggish. He's not clamping his fins as much either. The pH has continued to drop back down, now its at 7.9.

I will be adding all the caves back soon, and also will leave the water low and finish filling it up tomorrow.

I would recommend one thing if your fish ever apperar stressed after a water change/clean etc... LIGHTS OUT (in the tank and in the room) - It works a treat!!!! :thumbs:

Hows the clown loach doing.

He's a little shy today, but was definately active last night. I'm not sure if it was him or his buddy, but when i dropped peas into the tank this morning one came CHARGING out to chase away the tiger barbs and to inhale a pea. The ohter one is lurking in the caves, but is definately being active.

Good, bless him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back