Clown Killifish Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm looking at getting a small tank for my office at work and was interested in stocking it with Clown Killfish. I'm looking at getting a 5 gallon tank and maybe have two of them in there. Not sure if that's too small of a tank for two of them? I've seen different tank recommendations online so not really sure. Also, I won't be able to feed them live food. Will they do well on just flake food? What kind of filter would you recommend, as well? Anything else I should know?

Thank you,

A 5-gallon is too small to house them humanely. They will LIVE in a tank that size but they'll hate it. Go for a 10-gallon or bigger. And if you can't get live foods, you can use freeze-dried bloodworms to help supplement their insectivore diet. As for the filter, if you get a 10-gallon I would recommend a whisperer that comes with it in a kit; all my tanks have them and they last quite a while. But you could also use an HOB (hang on back), sponge filter, or canister filter. If you get more than four or five you will need a strong filter and so you should probably get a canister filter. Good luck!
Here's a care guide. It says that smaller aquaria may be used for breeding purposes which is namely a 10-gallon.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epiplatys-annulatus/

A 5-gallon is too small to house them humanely. They will LIVE in a tank that size but they'll hate it. Go for a 10-gallon or bigger. And if you can't get live foods, you can use freeze-dried bloodworms to help supplement their insectivore diet. As for the filter, if you get a 10-gallon I would recommend a whisperer that comes with it in a kit; all my tanks have them and they last quite a while. But you could also use an HOB (hang on back), sponge filter, or canister filter. If you get more than four or five you will need a strong filter and so you should probably get a canister filter. Good luck!
Here's a care guide. It says that smaller aquaria may be used for breeding purposes which is namely a 10-gallon.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epiplatys-annulatus/
Thanks for the recommendations. I run a lot of HOB filters I was more curious about how much water movement. I read that they don't like a lot of surface water movement so looking at something that's a little more gentle on the water surface

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back